News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fatpants does not give me overdrive when i turn the Fat Knob

Started by parpor, July 17, 2012, 02:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parpor

Hi i just finish my Fatpants. I see the demo on youtube it does give overdrive sound on the Fat knob. For mine build it's louder when i turn the FAT up
what i did wrong. where should i check.
please help T-T

madbean

parpor

Quote from: madbean on July 17, 2012, 02:55:01 AM
Please see this thread and try and provide some more info on your build, please.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

Thank you very much  :D i double check everything and i can not find anything wrong .... since i am a newbie in electronic stuff. i really dont know how to indicate the problem.

i use icl7660s for my build. does it have anything to do with the overdrive sound?

here is my photo of my build  ;D

jkokura

I would bet that it's behaving like it's supposed to. You do need to bias the transistor, so if you haven't found the sweet spot for the trimmer, try and adjust that.

On my fatpants, from the same era of your etch, there's no distortion, just loudness and tone change with the Fat pants. It may be that you're thinking of a different circuit, or expecting the wrong thing from this one.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

parpor

Quote from: jkokura on July 17, 2012, 03:20:56 AM
I would bet that it's behaving like it's supposed to. You do need to bias the transistor, so if you haven't found the sweet spot for the trimmer, try and adjust that.

On my fatpants, from the same era of your etch, there's no distortion, just loudness and tone change with the Fat pants. It may be that you're thinking of a different circuit, or expecting the wrong thing from this one.

Jacob

Thank you Jacob. i did setup the trimmer to get drain 9v from Q2.
i watch this clip on youtube
i hear the overdriven sound from the fat knob but for my build it just loundness like you said....

jkokura

The effect itself is not causing the distortion. Remember that what the fatpants does is "boost" your signal, both in strength and in volume. Because of that factor, it can take a signal that is on the verge of distortion, and push it into distortion territory.

What's happening there is that the guitar and amp already are 'almost' creating distortion. When you add in the Fatpants, it's 'pushing' the amp over the edge and creating distortion.

So, to sum up, it's not the Fatpants, it's the amp.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

parpor

Quote from: jkokura on July 17, 2012, 04:04:09 AM
The effect itself is not causing the distortion. Remember that what the fatpants does is "boost" your signal, both in strength and in volume. Because of that factor, it can take a signal that is on the verge of distortion, and push it into distortion territory.

What's happening there is that the guitar and amp already are 'almost' creating distortion. When you add in the Fatpants, it's 'pushing' the amp over the edge and creating distortion.

So, to sum up, it's not the Fatpants, it's the amp.

Jacob

i try to listen over again and i started to agree with you Jacob. It's the amp LOL  ;D So.. there is nothing wrong with my fatpants. it's my mistake to misunderstand that Fatpants would create an overdrive. LOL

Thank you very much Jacob  :D