News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tantalum capacitors

Started by Alrod, July 15, 2012, 04:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alrod

I am getting to build a Grapevine as well as a YellowShark.  I have some Tantalum capacitors that I can use for the builds, but there are no +/- markings on the board.  So here is my (stupid) question, since Tantalum capacitors are polarized, how do i know which way to put them?  Also, I noticed that the Tantalum capacitors that I have don't show any +/- markings.  So my second (stupid) question is, are all Tantalum capacitors polarized?  Thanks.

mgwhit

These sound like perfect excuses not to use Tantalum capacitors.

When using polarized caps in builds, I try to put the positive side facing parts of the circuit that carry DC.  Or negative side facing path to ground.  Preferably both.

Tantalum caps are definitely polarized (and prone to catastrophic failure).  If they're not marked, check to see if the leads are different lengths.  Longer lead should be positive.  Good luck.

culturejam

Modern tants have a small marking on them to show which is the positive lead, usually.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Scruffie

Possibly one longer lead than the other too?
Works at Lectric-FX

midwayfair

I think the OP is saying that the board he's using doesn't have the pads marked + and -. mgwhit's advice is sound, but you should also check the schematic and working out which hole connects to which part.

If you're considering using polarized caps in place of nonpolarized caps for C6 and C11, the negative side faces toward the "out" of the circuit, away from the power source and the input signal. Think about polarized output caps you may have seen in other schematics.