News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover Input Cap

Started by DeepBlueC, July 09, 2012, 09:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepBlueC

I'm starting a Current Lover build and am wondering, has anyone experimented with alternate Current Lover input caps? The schematic shows 0.039u (39n), which is what both the 1981 9V Mistress and the Tonepad version used, but the pre-1981 Mistresses all used 0.1u which would allow more bass through. I was a guinea pig a couple of years ago for an amazing pedal designer who was working out the kinks in his take on a 9V Mistress; while he was using 0.1u at the time, I felt it sounded too "tubby" compared to the bypass signal, so he swapped it for a 0.082u which is what I believe he's still using (and that's the flanger that's been on my board ever since).

I'm thinking of socketing that spot to experiment on my own, but if someone's already done it, hey, chime in!

DeepBlueC

Nothing, huh? Guess I'm on my own...  8)

FWIW, going to 0.082uF from 0.1uF in my buddy's circuit was a clearly audible difference to both of us... more true to the bypass signal... but any smaller and there was noticeable bass loss. Maybe part of why the Current Lover demo sounds brighter than I would expect?

If I'm way off on this, please someone correct me so that everyone who builds a Current Lover from here on out doesn't do unnecessary cap-swapping... not everyone is as ridiculously picky or experimental as I am.  ;D

stecykmi

i don't doubt what you're saying. a 0.039uF input cap is pretty small, it would likely cut some bass. it was probably chosen deliberately as an overall tone shaping cap.

DeepBlueC

Yeah, I could be way off, but it's interesting the cap was changed for the first 9V EM version. Before that EMs were regulated down to 12V internally from an 18V supply, so I'm thinking it was done more to address headroom lost when going from 12V down to 9 than anything else... with the downside of thinner, less-bottom-end tone.

And this is one time when less bottom end is not necessarily good. :D

DeepBlueC

Thought I'd report back in case anyone stumbles on this thread. Running my Current Lover at both 9 and 15V, I auditioned the 0.039uF listed in the project as well as 0.082uF and 0.1uF. Strangely (or maybe not so strangely for those more in the know about this circuit), the 0.039uF was the clear winner to my ears. The effect sounded warmer and fuller with more bass but no audible degradation of treble compared to either of the other two. It's the way I had hoped the Current Lover would sound, even when stacked up against my go-to Hartman (which is still a work of art, I must say).

Anyway, it was worth the experiment to satisfy my curiosity, but the 0.039uF stays. Score another one for The Mad One. (And I'm firmly on the "15V is better in this circuit" bandwagon for anyone curious about that.)