News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tesla Flange Unit - Collosalus build

Started by eldanko, July 09, 2012, 06:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

Here's a little tribute to everyone's favorite master of electricity.

For the uninitiated, here's some light reading: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Anyone who happened to see my Current Lover build thread over in the "Tech Help" forum will understand that I had some reservations about embarking on another MN3007-based flanger build while my first one sits non-functioning on a shelf.  Nevertheless, this one came together nicely.  I built it using the stock BOM (without the later suggested substitutions) and am not having any sort of trouble with noise.  I did tweak the trimmers a bit to get the effect to be a little more washy and off-the-wall.  This thing is a blast.

I have it set up with a Cusack clickless bypass all-in-one thingy.  It's pretty neat, but sort of bulky... I'm still getting a slight pop when engaged, so I may go back in and add the pulldown resistor.  The bypass unit did allow me to use a bi-color LED, which is cool.  Wiring isn't as tidy as normal... I ran out of my usual stuff and ended up using some Chandler wire from Mammoth... it doesn't hold angles very well IMO.

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

juansolo

Flange Unit... Sounds, kinda dirty.

Like it ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

eldanko

Anything combined with the word "unit" sounds dirty.  ;D

midwayfair

:D

nice work, dude. You always do spiffy graphics, and the inside looks pretty darned tidy to me!

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Bret608

As usual, the theme is dead-on! It was you who inspired me to go ahead and try out the Lowrider, what with your describing it as a gateway drug and all! Plan to start soon. Now I'm itching for this though!

DutchMF

WOW! that is to cool! Makes me think about the movie where David Bowie plays Mr Tesla (forgot which movie it was, but I think Wolverine, uhhh Hugh Jackman was in there as well). Very nice build!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

njkke

Quote from: DutchMF on July 09, 2012, 09:09:58 PM
WOW! that is to cool! Makes me think about the movie where David Bowie plays Mr Tesla (forgot which movie it was, but I think Wolverine, uhhh Hugh Jackman was in there as well). Very nice build!!

Paul
The prestige ;)

nzCdog

Very nice build!  Great graphics and all round tidy job!

Quote from: midwayfair on July 09, 2012, 07:38:14 PM

Man that was a laugh!  Strange yet hilarious ??? :D

eldanko

I always enjoyed "The Prestige" - it was actually one of my first introductions to Tesla.  That Jack and Meg clip is incredible.

Tesla coil can't be that much harder to build than what we do here, right guys?   8)

DutchMF

Quote from: njkke on July 09, 2012, 10:42:51 PM
Quote from: DutchMF on July 09, 2012, 09:09:58 PM

Paul
The prestige ;)
Thanks njkke, that's the one. Mrs. Dutch has the hots for Hugh Jackman, so almost everything he has done has been in our DVD-player one time or another. He made a hilarious appearance in an iced-tea commercial over here, never knew the guy could dance like that! Bowie was a nice surprise in The Prestige, he can do anything!

Enough off-topic banter. I found a way to get a Collosalus into a 1590BB with top-mounted jacks, all I have to do is test it and wire it up and I'll show you........

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

raulduke

Tesla = Win.

Thanks for the link to the comic as well; funny and informative.

It always amazes me how much of a douche Edison was by all accounts.

The prestige is a cool film as well. Gotta love Bowie ( ;) )

...Oh, and really nice build as well mate!

Haberdasher

great build as usual dude, and nice tribute to tesla!  I love my collosalus, it's a great modulation pedal, so it's nice to see another build report for one.

btw, i just made a honeydripper that I called a unit, lol
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

This is a beauty! Hardcore purple LED to go with it?
SOoo damn clean
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals