News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD: 5E3 Tweed Build!

Started by pryde, July 08, 2012, 12:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Just wanted to show-off my first amp build. Got the chassis kit from Boothill Amps, used Classictone PT/OT, and Weber 12A125 Alinico Speaker. I am still waiting on my cabinet from Memphis Amps.

Did the initial startup procedure, all voltages good. Sounds absolutely awesome, I cant wait to get it into the cab.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pietro_moog

good job. the wiring seems pretty clean. it's definitely very good for a first time.
glad it sounds awesome

mgwhit

Great job!  Love those small tweed combos.  (I've built a 5f2a tweed Princeton.)  If I could ever stop building pedals, I'd get back to building another amp or two.  Have fun with it!

midwayfair

Looks very nice! The 5E3 is definitely a fun little amp, and all the tweed era stuff is very sensitive to tweaks and tube changes.

nzCdog

sgmezei

Great Job!! Super clean build. I would be super stoked too! I have an overhaul planned for my tweed deluxe this summer. It was my first build so I am sure I can do a better job of it now.

Sweet build!

shawnee

Very nice job! The Tweed Deluxe is my all time favorite lower volume clean tone.  I have been giving mine a tune up this week.

Jack Deville

Logic.  And Cats.  And logical cats.

k.rock!

Awesome job dude! Looks really good!

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

alanp

Great stuff! Boothill seems to be taking off on TDPRI.

How did you find working inside a Tweed cake-tin chassis?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pryde

Quote from: alanp on July 08, 2012, 10:41:23 PM
Great stuff! Boothill seems to be taking off on TDPRI.

How did you find working inside a Tweed cake-tin chassis?

Yes Dave at Boothill is great. Highly recommend him if you are looking at building a 5E3. If you are a TDPRI member, he will give a nice discount on the kit.

Honestly there is a ton of room to work in the chassis. Being used to tight pedal builds, the 5E3 was pretty easy really. I was most concerned about the lethal voltages in the filter caps during power-up.  :o

My B+ voltage is a bit high so I am going to try a NOS rectifier to bring it down a bit. Other than that, all is well.

shawnee

I highly recommend the NOS Bendix 6106. They aren't cheap but this tube is the best 5Y3 rectifier there is and will last forever. I paid more for mine than this one on ebay right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bendix-6106-very-rare-5Y3-type-tube-/271012846145?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f199fda41

alanp

Cool. I've got a 5e3 head I need to re-wire, it was my first build and is a bit noisy. I built in a Marshall-style head that Custom Audio Boutique in NZ drilled up for me.

The next build is going to be a low power tweed twin -- I will be strong, and not blow my amp budget on more pedal components! (Yeah Right.)

Electro-Harmonix 12ay7 in v1?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pryde

Quote from: shawnee on July 09, 2012, 01:06:39 AM
I highly recommend the NOS Bendix 6106. They aren't cheap but this tube is the best 5Y3 rectifier there is and will last forever. I paid more for mine than this one on ebay right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bendix-6106-very-rare-5Y3-type-tube-/271012846145?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f199fda41

Dang. thanks for the indo. unfortunatly I already ordered a NOS GE rectifier. If I dont lile how its sounds/works I will look into the Bendix.

To alanp:
Yep, running a EH 12AY7 in V1.

atreidesheir

I run two EH 12ay7 's with my old old 5881 in my univalve and they sound great. 
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman