News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bloviator Blues. Possible problem with board.

Started by Guybrush, June 24, 2012, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

I've just started populating my Bloviator board and I think there maybe a mistake in the board. The chances are it's me that's in error but I just wanted to check here before progressing.  In regards to the layout diagram, R16 seems to be in the wrong place and R11 is missing all together. Is this a mistake in the production of the board or are there reasons for the differences? Also the holes for the legs of R15 and R17 are extremely close together. Is it just to save space on the board or something more?

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be extremely grateful.  It's got me a bit stumped!
Thanks people!

madbean

Guybrush- you've used a 16 pin IC socket for IC2 instead of a 14 pin. It's covering up R11.

R15 and R17 are standing resistors.

Guybrush

Quote from: madbean on June 24, 2012, 02:15:55 PM
Guybrush- you've used a 16 pin IC socket for IC2 instead of a 14 pin. It's covering up R11.

R15 and R17 are standing resistors.

What an idiot. Oh man is my face red.  Looks like I'll be ordering a new board from you Brian.  Is a standing resistor just steeply angled to fit in the space?

Thanks Brian.  Lets just keep this one between you and me.  Ha ha.

ncdb07

No need to buy a new board. (sorry madbean) Just get some solder braid or solder wick. All you have to do is apply a little flux to the area you want to remove the solder from. Get your iron nice and hot. Make sure it is tinned properly, you can even apply a little extra solder in this instance. Lay the solder braid directly over the solder pad and lay the iron directly on the braid. Then watch the braid wick the solder right off the board. Don't leave the iron on too long or you can lift the solder pad and trace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hpHez1I2rc

The video above shows how. But he could do it much faster with a fatter tip on his iron and if he would apply a touch of liquid flux beforehand.
ncdb07
Daniel

jkokura

You don't even need to remove it. Just stick the resistor into the socket...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

trickpony

Genius Jacob, 2 sockets for the price of one!

Guybrush

Thanks Jacob.  You've just saved me a lot of unnecessary work.

ncdb07: Thanks for the tip.  I'll be picking some up as it'll no doubt be useful in the future!