News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus - Mutron iii

Started by madbean, June 20, 2012, 09:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

This has occupied most of my week so far. My original prototype had numerous errors which kinda bummed me out. So, I decided to start over and do a single sided layout. My first attempt had the envelope detector set up more like the Meatball, with extra Attack and Decay controls. The LED drivers were pumped through a 2n3904 transistor with the base being fed by the output of the envelope. I managed to make a new mistake on this layout due to swapping an op-amp. But, I figured that out quickly and re-routed what I needed to under the board.

Anyway, this approach actually did not work out very well- The transistor seemed to be driving the LED too hard and it would sometimes "freak out". So, I removed the 2n3904 and got it going. But, the Attack and Decay controls just were not doing it for me. So, I started over again with another layout, this time setting it up more like the original. Now the envelope drives the two LEDs on the Vactrols directly and I added a Sweep control, which sets the intensity (this is Rx on R.G's "Neutron" project). That did the trick! There are a couple of other mods. I reduced the input gain a bit since at the very top of the gain it seemed to crap out. That was done just by increasing the input resistor a bit. The other mod is that the unit is true bypass, and an inverted output stage was added with a gain trimmer in case one needs a little more out. This means the input and output are now in phase, unlike the original Mutron.

Overall, I am really happy with it. The double sided layout is already done, and it is a variation of the layout you see here. The double sided layout will board-mount the pots and two switches. The rotary switch will be wired (only requires 4 wires).

The etch on this one came out really nice, even though I misspelled the name. That was probably because I rushed that like hell---I only spent an hour on it from design to finished etch. But, she looks real cool. Mostly due to the Cthulhu drawing which I swiped from the web.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

Very excellent. This and the Fishhead are extremely high on my wish list. (Hint hint!)

Thanks for putting a bunch of hard work into this project. I'm sure this was like a vacation after the meatball, though!

bangerang101

Dude Brian, this is great! Mutron iii is epic... awesome job man.

Cheers!
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)

spaceboss

jubal81

Love the changes/mods to the original project. Looking forward to getting one of these going!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

2tonewarrior

Awesome! nice finish. Count me in for the first series of PCBs

njkke

Really nice job, do you release the single side version with the nautilus documents?

sprayfe

Beautiful work, I would love to know about artwork as well :)
You are the masterbean!

madbean

Thanks! The PCB etching artwork will be included in the project doc when the manufactured PCB is released.

Haberdasher

yes!  I'm looking forward to this puppy.:)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

nzCdog

eldanko

This rocks! How's it compare to your meat sphere build?
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

irmcdermott

oh gosh... i've been looking at doing a Mutron for a few weeks now... just may wait for this now

jkokura

Yeah, I want this one.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals