News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Uproar (Riot) vs OCD vs Chunk Chunk

Started by Beedoola, June 19, 2012, 12:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I built a Chuck Chuck some time ago but sold it to my room mate due to hard times. I'm ready to build another higher gain pedal again and I'm kinda weighing my options. I thought the Chuck Chuck sounded good but I also had a OCD V1 a few years ago that was also really nice. While the CC is good, it was Mesa like - which is what its supposed to do  ;D but I want something not amp modeled. I use an Ampeg V4>Marshall 4x12, and I felt the OCD was more of a general gain addition and not a brown sound.

How is the Uproar? from what I read - its not based on an amp right? Anyone prefer the Uproar to these circuits, or another circuit to all these mentioned? Thanks

pryde

Cant speak for the Uproar but I have an Egodriver/OCD (nice pedal). BUT...

You should consider the Boneyard for sure. I know it is "based" on a marshall plexi but it is so much more than that really. It is a versatile and GREAT sounding pedal. The boneyard will do most everything the egodriver will but offer another channel, more gain if needed.

jkokura

Just so you're aware, you're probably talking about the Chunk Chunk, just in case it becomes confusing. Likely everyone here knows what you mean, but I wanted to help you out some.

Also, I would say that the three circuits you're talking about are DRASTICALLY different. It's really a big discussion, but to sum it up, all three are so different it's like comparing Apples, Oranges and Bananas.

All three are good though, in their own ways.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

I've built all 3.  The Uproar is like a high gain Guv'nor pedal... marshallish sound... Depends on your amp as to how good it sounds.  OCD is a tube screamer type pedal, didn't spin my wheels but some guys get nice tones out of them. My personal pick of those three for highgain would be the chunk chunk, but they're all quite different.

Beedoola

Quote from: jkokura on June 19, 2012, 04:19:31 AM
Just so you're aware, you're probably talking about the Chunk Chunk, just in case it becomes confusing. Likely everyone here knows what you mean, but I wanted to help you out some.

Also, I would say that the three circuits you're talking about are DRASTICALLY different. It's really a big discussion, but to sum it up, all three are so different it's like comparing Apples, Oranges and Bananas.

All three are good though, in their own ways.

Jacob

ya I always get it mixed up, but yes; the Chunk Chunk.

And yes, I know they are all different beasts.

As to Pryde's comment; is the Boneyard more Marshally than the Riot?

nzCdog - my amp was mentioned: Ampeg V4>Marshall 4x12 (v30s) and I also use a Ampeg Gemini I - didn't mention that amp.

pryde

Honestly I cant compare the Boneyard to the Riot. I have only built the OCD and Boneyard. Someone else could gove you a more direct comparison perhaps

thekyle55

I've built them all, and used them all in gigging situations.  My favorite by far is the Boneyard.  It replaced my Blackstar HT40's drive channel as my main distortion, it really is that good.  It seems to hit all the classic Marshall sounds, but is able to get much, much more distorted, well into the unusable realm.

The OCD always makes me think of a fuzzy TS, as strange as it sounds.  I see a lot of people playing them, and it always just seems generic sounding to me.  It is a really good stacking pedal, I liked the sound of a Timmy pushing it, but the Timmy pushing the Boneyard is much better.

The Uproar and Chunk Chunk both had the same problems for me: they sound amazingly awesome when messing around at the house, but get lost in a mix.  I'm not a mid-scooper or super-high-gainer.  That seems to be what those pedals excel at.

To be fair, I didn't give the Uproar a whole lot of time on my board.  I finished the Boneyard a couple of weeks after it, and immediately knew I had found the sound I had been looking for.  I know there are some great sounds in there, and I found some of them, I just didn't bond with it.