Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low rider question

Started by Hangingmonkey, June 14, 2012, 10:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hangingmonkey

Is there much difference between CD 4013 BCN and 4013 BE

I ask because Ive built a low rider and while the tracking is good,

I find the traking goes off on some notes eg on playing the open low E  for the 1 octave down and perhaps a it more so for 2 octaves down.  Im using the 2n5457 trannies.

I cant get any upper octave despite turning the trimpot thru its full range of movement very slowly, all I get is fuzz.  (ive made the mod as per the document  to increase the upper octave)

Im using the Cd4013 BE and was wondering if getting the BCN would make much difference?

sidebernie

I just finished my build last night and I have exactly the same problem. I'm hoping you have an answer to this to this problem because that is a big build and so far I am disappointed with the results. Oct up is nothing but a fuzztone. there is no upper octave through he entire range. Down 1 works the best but loses tracking ,Down 2 loses tracking worse and disappears completely when you play higher notes. I am using the same parts as Hangingmonkey  2N5457 Tranny's, J201 for Q1, and 4013BCN chips(Hangingmonkey, that answers your question, they don't sound any better) I have also done the C10 C12 mod. Fortunately I have all the chips and tranniy's socketed. If you have a suggestion I would appreciate some advice. I'm sure some people have gotten the pedal to work like it should.

sergiodam

Dear friends. Firstly, I regret because I don't speak (or write) English very well ... 
I also built LowRider. I bought 2 PGBs and happened the following:
1-in the first assembly, OCTDOWN1  and OCTDOWN2 presented a type of "delay" in the bass notes. I'd  taken very good octaves down, even in the high notes. Only the "delay" was the problem. The delay occurs like this: first sounds the tone one/two octave down, and then the original note, with a slight delay. On the octave-up, also the best I got was a fuzz. I tried the MOD, but it didn't work. In the end I preferred to leave the C10 and C12 off  and leave the fuzz in peace. I used CD4013 (no BCN) and 2N5458 transistors instead of the original 2SK30.   

2-in the second assembly, using the same components (I bought them all together), I didn't get the same result.  The octaves-down  no sound as well; I only hear a "hum" about stuffy notes. >:(  I used the MOD ... and got the same fuzz ... I used the simple CD4013 (no BCN) and original 2SK30. In both of mounts I first tested the project before put in the enclosures. Nothing has changed. It was the same way, inside or outside of the boxes.
What's wrong? ???

jkokura

Hi there,

Thanks to both of you for your posts. Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to get your answers in this area of the Forum. I might suggest that you head over to our Tech Help area, and see if you can give us some of the details we might need to help you solve the problems you're facing. For some tips and some advice on what info we need, check out this thread: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

Start a new topic here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals