News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Holding those little snap-in DC jacks in place

Started by midwayfair, June 12, 2012, 08:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I recently started using the snap-in plugs that bean suggests in his baby build guide. I like how good they are for tight spaces (though outie jacks can save some more space in some tight 1590A builds), but I'm having a hard time getting them to stand up to being plugged and unplugged. I'm using the smallest drillbit that allowed me to actually snap them in (27/64" I think?), but they still pop out once in a while.

Does anyone have a suggestion for, say, a type of glue that would allow future maintenance if necessary but would let it stand up to some abuse in the meantime? or is this the price I pay for having one less nut to tighten?

lincolnic

I've found that Gorilla Glue's "Super Glue" formula will hold tight but still be removable if you need to work on something after the fact. Just don't use too much. I don't think it's conductive, but don't quote me on that!

madbean

I think your drill bit is too big! I've never had an issue with the snap ins coming out. I don't know exactly which size I drill to, but I can tell you on a step bit it is the 10th rung. Even the 9th rung will work if you push it in really hard.

mjcyates

I haven't had any issues with them coming out either.

midwayfair

Quote from: madbean on June 12, 2012, 10:36:21 PM
I think your drill bit is too big! I've never had an issue with the snap ins coming out. I don't know exactly which size I drill to, but I can tell you on a step bit it is the 10th rung. Even the 9th rung will work if you push it in really hard.

Hm, I'll try the next size down, but I had to really push to get them in in the first place. Thanks. :)

I'll try the gorilla glue on the ones that are already too loose.

gtr2

I use the snap ins pretty much exclusively.  I've only had an issue when overdrilling.  Personal preference but I don't really like gorilla glue.  It expands and can get pretty messy looking if your not careful.  I'd use a clear superglue.  That's how I mount etch plates and it holds up really well.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

lincolnic

Quote from: gtr2 on June 13, 2012, 12:05:04 AM
I use the snap ins pretty much exclusively.  I've only had an issue when overdrilling.  Personal preference but I don't really like gorilla glue.  It expands and can get pretty messy looking if your not careful.  I'd use a clear superglue.  That's how I mount etch plates and it holds up really well.

Just to clarify, I specifically mean their clear "Super Glue" formula. Not the brown stuff, the one with the light blue cap: http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=super-glue

I use it to hold the plastic parts of LED bezels in place when they don't want to snap in.

pryde

I have not had any problems with the snap in jacks either.

I always drill most holes smaller than needed and then use my good ole HF t-handle reamer to slowly increase the diameter of the hole for a good tight fit. I do this for LEDs, switches, and the snap-in jacks where a solid-tight fit is needed and I don't risk over-drilling the size.

Seriously one of the best $4 spent for building pedals:
http://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html