News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Warbler (ROG tri-vibe)

Started by midwayfair, June 10, 2012, 05:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

This circuit really sounds beautiful in the "Whirl" setting, and not quite like anything else I've ever heard. The Swirl setting is also very cool, something like a combination of phaser and vibrato and vaguely reminiscent of a harmonic tremolo. The actual Vibe setting is nice but not throbby like a real optical circuit. I might try swapping out the chips (especially the 13600 for a 13700), but it's fairly quiet right now and I haven't had a ton of time to experiment.

I shrank the perfboard layout, which was originally made for a 1590BB. It was still a slightly tight fit. This project took a ridiculously long time (almost 16 hours, including 3 hours of debugging the circuit that turned out to just be a missing jumper) and I would just buy an etch from Keith or Ian if I were ever going to make another one (I didn't realize until I was almost done the project that there even WAS an etch layout). The indicator LED blinks in time with the rate, of course. Perfs are never pretty on the flip side, but this one is absurd -- jumpers all over the place.

nzCdog

Awesome paintjob!  Zvex eat your heart out ;)

jubal81

Another great one. You've been on a tear. I'd love to hear a demo.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

Quote from: jubal81 on June 10, 2012, 04:40:50 PMI'd love to hear a demo.

Will do! I wanted to do vids of a bunch of modulation pedals (this, Smoothie, Neptune, and Shoot the Moon) in one "session", though the smoothie might have to wait ... I've run out of 3PDTs. So I'm thinking I'll sit down with the camera tonight or tomorrow instead of soldering more. :)

I'm going to go back to some madbean fabbed builds after this. I want to implement some of the forum's mods to my next Cave Dweller (Tim's brightness/volume smoothing mod, the "improved" sweep on the dwell pot), I've got a Fat Pants to fit in a 1590A, and I might work up a "Super Cupcake" with extra knobs (volume and either attack, decay, or both - bias internal as usual ... unless I decide to do the Hartman ratio mod).

Thanks for the kind words about the art. I did a lot of visual art when I was in middle school and things are slowly coming back to me.

whitebread47

Quote from: nzCdog on June 10, 2012, 05:10:19 AM
Awesome paintjob!  Zvex eat your heart out ;)

I second this, great work!
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell