News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover diode mishap

Started by lopsided, June 04, 2012, 05:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lopsided

Hello,

I am building pedals on vero for some time, but recently tried my first PCBs from Madbean.
I have mistakenly soldered an UF4007 instead of the 1N4007 as D2 on the Current Lover PCB ( http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/CurrentLover/CurrentLover.pdf ).
Will this do any problems? From what I have read in the data-sheets it has higher forward voltage (1,7V x 1,1V) and obviously faster reverse recovery. I think it might me a problem because it is part of the bias of the Q2 base. What do you think?
Normally I would just switch it for the right diode but I somehow find it extremely hard to  desolder components from the PCBs with the pump I use. So if you think this diode will be a problem, any desoldering tips will be very appreciated.

Thanks
Jakub

Scruffie

I'd say the faster recovery may even have a benefit here, give it a shot, can't hurt, if it doesn't work, then we'll think of ways to get it out.
Works at Lectric-FX

lopsided

Thanks, I will try it and we will see. I haven't cut of the leads of the diode yet, so if there's a problem, I think I should be able to solder the right diode to the leads on the other side of the board. Not the most elegant solution but it should work.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: lopsided on June 05, 2012, 10:55:02 AM
Thanks, I will try it and we will see. I haven't cut of the leads of the diode yet, so if there's a problem, I think I should be able to solder the right diode to the leads on the other side of the board. Not the most elegant solution but it should work.

I usually use a desolder pump and then rock that diode a tad after getting the solder out and it usually comes loose. Or cut the diode out and use a diode lead and push out the clipped lead would work good too. Done that as well.
John