News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another noobie cap question

Started by DLM, June 04, 2012, 01:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLM

Hey guys , Thanks for info on the last post . But I have another question . I was looking at bean's most used cap list . I'm guessing he uses some sort of short hand for writing values  , like   an " x "  between the values  as in  ,  47x1  or 100x3  etc. Whats the "x" mean ?  I also have seen  100R  and 2k2 or 2M2 . Is there a lnfo list of the type of lettering so I know what values  I'm supposed get ?  I'm trying to figure this stuff out .    Thanks  Dave     P.S.  STOP LAUGHING YOU GUYS !!!!   ( just kidding  )

gtr2

It's just being used as a multiplier.  For instance say you're ordering in quantities of 10.

100k x 3 would be 30 resistors

1M x 1 would be 10 resistors

4.8k x 4 would be 40 resistors

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

Quote from: DLM on June 04, 2012, 01:45:37 AM
Hey guys , Thanks for info on the last post . But I have another question . I was looking at bean's most used cap list . I'm guessing he uses some sort of short hand for writing values  , like   an " x "  between the values  as in  ,  47x1  or 100x3  etc. Whats the "x" mean ?  I also have seen  100R  and 2k2 or 2M2 . Is there a lnfo list of the type of lettering so I know what values  I'm supposed get ?  I'm trying to figure this stuff out .    Thanks  Dave     P.S.  STOP LAUGHING YOU GUYS !!!!   ( just kidding  )

The k, M, R, and n indicate the multiplier. It's more common in European notation, but it's a good way of never missing the decimal point.

K = kilo
M= Meg
R = no multiplier
n= nano

oldhousescott

And if the multiplier is inside the numerals, it represents a decimal point.

i.e. 4K7 is 4.7K ohms, 2n2 is 2.2nF, etc.

DLM

So if the electrolytic cap value 100x3 , It means  100uf times 3 which would be  100uf @ 30 pcs  . Is this correct ?  Thanks D

alanp

It partly goes back to photocopiers. The more generations a copy was from the original schematic, the worse the chance that the decimal point in, say, 4.8k would be lost (or perceived as flyshit), and someone would whack in a 48k resistor. Whereas putting 4k8 makes it very obviously NOT a photocopy error.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

DLM

I understand what your saying about the 4k8 as being 4.8k . But here's what I'm talking about check this thread toward the bottom  http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=66.0
Now on beans list for Ceramic and Electrolytic cap ordering  it says 47x1  . So dose that mean 47x1 = 47pf times 10 and the 10 meaning 10 pcs   and for   Electrolytic  1x3 = 1uf times 3= 30 pcs ?  Help please Dave

gtr2

My post above already answered the question.  ???

The x is a multiplier for quantity in that linked post.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

DLM

Thank you Josh , I appreciate your patience . D

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer