News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klone (non madbean content) + New Amp Day

Started by midwayfair, May 22, 2012, 02:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Despite appearances, it DOES fit in the case; it's just slanted a little. I didn't have to leave room for the battery and it would have fit better, but I built it knowing that I might not want to keep it, especially if I build a Kingslayer after it comes out. The board is from guitarpcb for the curious. It was okay to work with. I still prefer even perfboard over etched boards, but I'm getting used to them.

I'm not entirely done with it. I got some of the mini slider switches from Tayda recently and might add the bass boost switch. The enclosure is also missing some (a) cuteness and (b) character. I thought I wanted to do something simple, but it turns out I was wrong. The lettering is nice though ... and it's nicer in person. The green is actually sparkly, as is the copper. I would need better lighting or a better camera to show it.

Diodes are 1N270 and 1N60. The 1N270 was just a little more character and less compression than a second 1N60, but two 1N60s were too dark for my tastes. I also tried 1N34As, but they were more even compressed.

Admittedly, I'm not entirely certain what it's supposed to sound like in some settings. There are lots of Klone klips as a clean-ish boost, but fewer with lots of drive. I don't think I'll bother taking out the diodes, though.

There are a couple noise issues with the drive up, even though I've got the power as physically separated from the in, out, and pot wiring as much as possible. The last notch of the treble knob squeals when the drive is maxed out. Somewhat annoying. I might replace the pot with a smaller value, but it sounds good on boost settings with the treble maxed out and the drive way down.

I need more time with it, I suppose. I didn't bother with it for more than about 15 minutes because this arrived today ....

:D

Which I'm far, far more excited about.

glowsheep

woah Tone King Imperial, nice, I can see why your klone would take a back seat for now. That's a good build, I want to build one too but I might wait for the kingslayer