News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I think I have a problem...

Started by raulduke, May 17, 2012, 09:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Just got the latest batch of prototype boards back from Dorkbot, and I haven't even finished building the boards I ordered last time around.

Is there such a thing as PCB layout addiction  :)?

I can see that I'm eventually going to end up with hundreds of PCB's hanging around my workshop with no time to build them.

night-B

I can help building them if you want  ::)

Julien

plesur

alanp

As long as you're having fun and you're not in the poorhouse (or the doghouse) because of it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Nah its all good fun. This hobby is too much fun. That might be the problem  :D.

I've got a wedding to plan (and pay) for next year, so poorhouse is definitely a probability, and also probably doghouse if I don't pay enough attention to flowers and wedding favours!

Wish me luck  ;)...

gtr2

pcb coasters for all the guests!   ;D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

raulduke

She'll love that  :D

On a side note, PCB coasters confuse me; what is the point in a coaster that has holes all over it?

G.G.

If you don't mind me asking, about how much does a PCB that size end up costing through Dorkbot?

raulduke

All the info you need here mate: http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order

The price totally depends on the size of the PCB.

You always get three of each design when ordering. i.e. you cannot say 'can I have 1 PCB for this design, and 4 for this design' etc.

My last batch (some of which are pictured) was six designs, totalling 30 18 PCB's (three of each design). The total came to around $80.00 inc shipping to the UK. This works out to around $2.60 $4.50 per PCB which is a pretty good price.

EDIT: What am I talking about; my last order was 18 PCB's, not 30. I'm not firing on all cylinders today!

G.G.

that is an excellent price, plus purple boards & gold pads. thanks for the info!

GermanCdn

Just keep repeating my mantra "It's not a problem if I'm OK with it."
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jubal81

I have a feeling any extras would be bought up pretty quickly 'round these parts.  ;)

C'mon, fill us in on what you've worked up.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Quote from: gtr2 on May 17, 2012, 12:51:14 PM
pcb coasters for all the guests!   ;D

I've almost done this several times. Not for wedding guests, mind you, but just for having around the house.

I was thinking of doing a design with several decent-sized drill holes. Then backing one side with thick stick-on felt. This would allow it to absorb the condensation from cold drinks in the summer. Without the holes and something to wick the condensate, PCBs would be crappy coasters, unless it was just for things like coffee/hot tea.

But it's kinda pricey. They'd end up costing about $15-$18 each. Not sure I want one that bad.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

midwayfair

Clearly the obvious solution to the coaster problem is:

1) Create large circuit with big empty circle in the center and pads on the perimeter
2) Add a battery and a small circuit that when pressure is applied to the top of the board (i.e., when a drink is on it), it lights up severael LEDs
3) ??
4) profit.

calciferspit

Quote from: midwayfair on May 17, 2012, 05:57:46 PM
Clearly the obvious solution to the coaster problem is:

1) Create large circuit with big empty circle in the center and pads on the perimeter
2) Add a battery and a small circuit that when pressure is applied to the top of the board (i.e., when a drink is on it), it lights up severael LEDs
3) ??
4) profit.

add a rumble pack and you can let people know when their table is ready.