News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clean octave

Started by Guybrush, May 14, 2012, 03:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hey guys.

Just been reading a thread over on DIYSB about the cleanest sounding octave up pedal.  It was pretty inconclusive but it got me wanting a clean octave effect.  Has anyone around here got any suggestions? 

As a side note, what is everyone's favorite octave down build?

jtn191

The green ringer is a pretty popular circuit--haven't tried it. I do have a Visual Sound Angry Fuzz which lets you dial in fuzz or octave separately

If you haven't looked into the Lowrider already, it does octaves up and down

sgmezei

I second the lowrider. I have built the one Taylor has at MusicPCB but the lowrider is more versatile as it can dial in different amounts of 2octaves below, 1octave below, and 1octave up!

midwayfair

My low rider sounded really good on the octaves down before it stopped working for no apparent reason. >:(

The upper octave is an issue in that build. The Green Ringer is louder but doesn't track nearly as well.

calciferspit

The POG is probably the only true clean octave up. Not buildable though. IMO the wolfshirt has the most pronounced (more octave than fuzz sound) octave up. The lowrider does great for clean octave down, but the octave up is more fuzz/fizz than octave. The great tracking and control features make the lowrider my favorite octave build.

jkokura

there are a few good octave ups, the whammy and another company i've forgotten the name of thats similar are examples.

For DIY the lowrider is a good option for close as you can get.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

calciferspit

Quote from: jkokura on May 14, 2012, 07:06:09 PM
there are a few good octave ups, the whammy and another company i've forgotten the name of thats similar are examples.

For DIY the lowrider is a good option for close as you can get.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Whammy. That is a fun one. But like the POG, it is digital. I don't know any analog octave that can track chords, FWIW the lowrider tracks single notes better than any analog octave I've tried.

Guybrush

I used to have a Whammy but got rid of it for some reason.  I'd love a POG or HOG but there's no way I can stretch to one of those at the mo.

Think I'll have a look at the Low Rider for octave down and Visual Sound Angry Fuzz for octave up.  I've always fancied a 3 amp set up with the first amp getting -1 oct signal,  the 2nd one getting the standard signal and the 3rd getting +1 oct.  

Jamie from The Kills does something similar to this and it makes a great racket!