News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag Build

Started by pickdropper, May 13, 2012, 05:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Pictures were difficult because of the reflection off of the bare metal left after etching the top.

This was built with the 3205 chips and sounds pretty good.  It is the second one I've built.  One of these days, I'd still like to give an MN3005 build a shot, but I may take a break from the Dirtbag for a while.  It's a time consuming build.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

Man that looks tidy and clean. The landscape layout seems to be the way to go with this build. (I've got a populated board that just needs pots, delay and compander ICs, and a case.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jtn191

wow, fantastic build! were you the guy who had access to a laser etcher or did you find a service?
I really like the way it looks

mjcyates

That looks great! Nice job.

pickdropper

Quote from: jtn191 on May 13, 2012, 10:50:49 AM
wow, fantastic build! were you the guy who had access to a laser etcher or did you find a service?
I really like the way it looks

I am the guy who is lucky enough to have access to the laser etcher.  It's a lower powered one, so it will etch away the powder coat, but doesn't actually dig into the metal.

This enclosure is the only one that I've removed this much powder coat from.  I like the fact that it etches really clean lines and that I don't have to mess with labels.  The downside to removing as much of the powder coat as I did is that you really don't know what the metal is going to look like underneath (you can see random scratches in this one).  This makes sense as it is probably assumed that the end user is going to leave the powder coat on, so it doesn't matter what it underneath as long as the powder coat adheres.
Function f(x)

gtr2

Love it.  The clean lines and aluminum/white look is awesome.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

wolfingsworth

That looks awesome! My brother-in-law has a lazer etcher so I've wanted to try it. I'm glad to know that it works well with powdercoating! Where did you get the graphics?

raulduke

Beautifull build mate.

The lazer etching is epic.

pickdropper

Quote from: wolfingsworth on May 20, 2012, 04:04:11 AM
That looks awesome! My brother-in-law has a lazer etcher so I've wanted to try it. I'm glad to know that it works well with powdercoating! Where did you get the graphics?

I actually got it from this forum.  If you can't find it through the search function, I'd be happy to send it to you.

- Dave
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: raulduke on May 20, 2012, 06:41:10 PM
Beautifull build mate.

The lazer etching is epic.

Thanks.  I'm going to be boxing up a 3005 dirtbag and I will probably try the etch on a black enclosure to see how that looks.  I suspect ithe contrast may help it.
Function f(x)

k.rock!

Wow this is clean man!! amazing...

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

wolfingsworth

Quote from: pickdropper on May 21, 2012, 05:30:02 AM
Quote from: wolfingsworth on May 20, 2012, 04:04:11 AM

I actually got it from this forum.  If you can't find it through the search function, I'd be happy to send it to you.

- Dave
Awesome! Found it. Hopefully someday soon I will be able to get my hands on one of those boards!

Roctopus

Just now seeing this build and I love it! Stellar work :)

pickdropper

Thanks, Roctopus.  I actually build a black one as well.  I should add pics of that to this post.
Function f(x)