News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smoothie - volume drop?

Started by bapa, May 07, 2012, 10:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bapa

I just finished the cave dweller and smoothie both sound really good, but i have an pretty big volume drop on the smoothie. From what i understand phase 45´s sometimes come with a volume drop but mine goes down like 40%. I tried to go through the build to see if i made any mistakes, but i can´t see any. But i don´t have matched transistors in mine, just ordered a pair. I just took some 2n5457 i had. Anyway, could this be the reason for the volumedrop.
Thanks a lot/bastian

madbean

That could contribute to a volume drop. If you are still experiencing it after plugging in the matched transistors you have on the way, you can increase the output by reducing the value of R3. Start with 10k and work your way downward until getting unity.

bapa

Thanks a lot Brian, i just downed the 20K to 1K and with that value i got unity, maybe i´ll need to change the resistor again when i get "a matched pair"

Also, would if be possible to mod the cavedweller with a mix knob (controlling the loudness of the repeats)?

Thanks again/bastian

madbean

Yes, take a look at the CDII in the project doc. You can use the same method to generate a mix knob for the repeats. Use a 50kB pot, wire lug 1 to lug 3 of the dwell pot. Wire lug 2 of the mix pot to ground. When you turn it up, it adds resistance to ground. When it's down, it brings the delay signal to ground. It's not a volume knob in the sense of a voltage divider, but it works well in the CDII, at least.

kinski

Hmmm..i'd love to add a mix pot (repeat loudness) to the CD1. The only extra green 9mm pot I have on hand is a 100kA. Would that do the job, or must I track down a 50kB?

kinski

Hmmm, I could probably just add a 100k resistor on lugs 1 & 3 to make it 50k, yes?