Which came first? The resistor or the capacitor? That is my question :)

Started by murdog47, May 06, 2012, 03:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murdog47

Anyone know why the R22 and C5 on the P19 schematic are reverse from the C4 and R8 on the Mudbunny? The resistor is before the capacitor in Skreddy's circuit and the cap is before the resistor in the Mudbunny. Does this make any difference?

midwayfair

Quote from: murdog47 on May 06, 2012, 03:58:12 PM

Anyone know why the R22 and C5 on the P19 schematic are reverse from the C4 and R8 on the Mudbunny? The resistor is before the capacitor in Skreddy's circuit and the cap is before the resistor in the Mudbunny. Does this make any difference?

They're in parallel. Makes no difference. You could solder both ends of them in the same hole and electrons would run through them the same way. Edit: Clearly I was looking at the wrong part of the schematic.

murdog47

I get what you're saying but for some reason I'm having difficulty wrapping my mind around it. So if I were to put the resistor in the capacitor spot on the mudbunny board and the capacitor in the resistor spot it would be the same? 

mgwhit

R22 and C5 are not in parallel in the schematic above -- they're in series.  (Same with C4 and R8 on the Mudbunny.)  Can't answer your original question as to whether or not order makes a difference, though.

murdog47

jkokura

As far as my research led me, no the order of parts in series does not matter. I you're really worried about it, try it both ways on a breadboard.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

murdog47

mgwhit

I actually tried it both ways on a breadboard last night, but just those two components (8k2 and 100n).  I couldn't really tell a difference, but I don't think it was a terribly comprehensive test without building the rest of the circuit around it.

midwayfair

Quote from: mgwhit on May 07, 2012, 12:51:28 AM
R22 and C5 are not in parallel in the schematic above -- they're in series.

Yeah, sorry, I was looking at the wrong pair.  :-X

murdog47

Quote from: mgwhit on May 07, 2012, 12:27:02 PM
I actually tried it both ways on a breadboard last night, but just those two components (8k2 and 100n).  I couldn't really tell a difference, but I don't think it was a terribly comprehensive test without building the rest of the circuit around it.

All the info I have found points that way as well. Just interested in why, if there is a reason, to swap them.  I'm no expert on this stuff by any means but you gotta start somewhere right? I learn best by tinkering  ;D

mgwhit

I probably should've used a smaller capacitor to test, too.  100n is typically big enough to pass all guitar frequencies.