News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard big problem

Started by bs_ane, May 06, 2012, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bs_ane

Hi!
i build a boneyard circuit with 1 booster to 1 box.the boneyard and the boost works great but the leds (on/off)they dont opening.i make some tests to try to open.after that tests the boneyard donts works.the clipping leds is blinking even playing but the output is toooooooo low.
voltage to ic

1-0,29v
2-0,19
3-0,17
4-9,31
5-1,38
6-2,03
7-2,03
8-6,75
9-1,82
10-0
11-0,63
12-0
13-0,06
14-0

what do you think????
plz help me guys because i have a big gig and i need this pedal.
the time that the pedal working it is great results.

mgwhit

You should be seeing -9V on pin 11.  Something is wrong with your charge pump set up.

bs_ane

YOU THINK the problem is in pcb or to a component or the max1044??
the first time that i test it the pedal works good.
i use the multimeter like this.i put the black wire to ground and the red wire to every pin.is corrects this??
with this method the 11pin should be has -9v??

bs_ane

the wiring affects this problem??
i wiring this pedal with other one(booster) to 1 box.is the first time that i do that but the other pedal works great.

mgwhit

If it worked the first time you tried it, but now it doesn't, I would suspect a bad solder joint or that your charge pump IC failed.  Is this an etched board or a fabbed board?  What voltage are your capacitors rated for?  (Specifically C11 and C12.)  Do you have another charge pump IC you can test?

Check to see if you're getting -9VDC at IC2 pin 5.  And, yes, black probe to ground, red probe to pins is the appropriate way to test voltage.

If you're really desperate, please upload some high-resolution, well-lit, in-focus photos of both sides of the board.  I doubt the presence of the separate booster circuit in the same enclosure has anything to do with your problem.

bs_ane

All components it's the same exactly with boneyard PDF.charge pump you mean the maxx1044?I make my own layout because I want small PCB.it's etched PCB.you think to check the joints??I send tomorrow the layout file and photos.it is necessarily to resolve the problem

bs_ane

I use for D5 9.1v zener instead 12v.
Is this problem??
Or is this a reason to failed the max1044?

mgwhit

9.1V Zener is correct for the MAX1044.

madbean

Quote from: bs_ane on May 06, 2012, 06:23:25 PM
All components it's the same exactly with boneyard PDF.charge pump you mean the maxx1044?I make my own layout because I want small PCB.it's etched PCB.you think to check the joints??I send tomorrow the layout file and photos.it is necessarily to resolve the problem

Showing us the layout will help diagnose the problem in case there is something wrong with your charge pump configuration.

bs_ane

bs_ane

VOLTAGE TO MAX1044

1. 9,30v
2. 7,50v
3. 0
4. 2,65v
5. 2,15v
6. 6,18
7. 4,68
8. 9,30v

bs_ane

mgwhit

Not really.  I looked at the parts of your layout that pertain to the 1044, and nothing jumped out as wrong.  Your Zener diode and capacitors appear to be correctly oriented in your photos (although it's hard to tell because of the way they are laying).

From what I could tell, your soldering looks fine, but the amount of component leads exposed on the top of your board and the fact that you're cramming it in upside down makes me suspect that something shorted against the back of one of the pots or another component lead.

The first thing I would do is swap in another 1044, or at least test your current 1044 in a breadboard.  Until you can get +9V/-9V out of it, there's no point looking at anything else.

bs_ane

I make tomorrow the test to max1044 or I change it witH icl7660s.

bs_ane

I testing the max1044 to breadboard.
pin 1&8 +9v From baterry +
pin 2 +10uf of capacitor(c1)
pin 3 ground
pin 4 the other lug of c1
pin 5 the - lug from c2 10uf(the +lug is to ground)

the black wire to ground and the red cable from multimeter to pin 5 i take 1,86V

The correct measure is -9V right??