News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just out of curiousity ... CE-1 vs. CE-2 in DIY projects

Started by midwayfair, May 03, 2012, 02:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I'm curious why it's very easy to find clones of the Boss CE-2, but the CE-1, which has a very nice vibrato side, is far, far rarer. Is it the larger footprint, or something else?

culturejam

Never looked at the CE-1 schematic, but my first guess would be that it uses some kind of IC that is impossible to get now.

Either that, or it's just a monster circuit that not many people would attempt as a DIY project.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Jargo

I offered to have my CE-1 looked at by Brian or any of the other folks here who could implement it into a workable piece, but nothing came out of it...My offer still stands

jkokura

The CE-1 was developed for keyboards I believe, and the product got co-opted by guitarists. Jargo's over is awesome, but I think CJ is correct - it's a project that isn't really feasible on a scale most DIYers are interested in.

For the cost and availability factor, the CE-2 circuit is just so much more accessible and user friendly. The CE-1 is quite complicated and large.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

claytushaywood

the vibrato mod for the ce2 isnt the best vibrato, but I still think it's usable for a good number of sounds. i really love doing a switchable super slow speed mod, with a SUPER slow and somewhat deep vibrato.  very cool effect right there, tastefully out of tune