News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Making a perforation in Eagle?

Started by culturejam, April 30, 2012, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Googling isn't getting me anywhere.

What I want to do is put two simple circuits on one larger PCB, and then have a perforation down the middle so that the two circuits can be physically snapped apart. For larger runs, this would save paying two setup charges.

I've seen lots of boards done this way in other pedals and other types of electronics.

I just can't figure it out in Eagle. Well, I figure I could brute-force it and just specify a lot of small drill holes. But I'm thinking there is probably a more automated way in Eagle.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

Try emailing the Catlainbread people. I think their DIY PCBs feature this. No idea if they use eagle though.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Yeah, their kits are part of what gave me the idea. That and the Klon.  ;D

I guess I could email Brian at C'Bread. Or maybe I'll join an Eagle forum and ask. But I'll be damned if I can find anything with a web search. I'm probably not using the right term.

derevaun

Here's a small but helpful discussion:

http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/index.php/mv/msg/38415/128386/

You might ask Laen how he does the Dorkbot panels. I always feel guilty about asking him about stuff, since that project seems like such a monstrous job nowadays. But he's a really nice dude.

irmcdermott

Quote from: derevaun on April 30, 2012, 08:20:10 PM
Here's a small but helpful discussion:

http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/index.php/mv/msg/38415/128386/

You might ask Laen how he does the Dorkbot panels. I always feel guilty about asking him about stuff, since that project seems like such a monstrous job nowadays. But he's a really nice dude.

+1 on asking Laen. I'm sure he could help you out, or point you to someone who could.

culturejam

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep poking around.

culturejam

After doing some reading, it seems the best way to tacking it is to ask the board  house how they prefer to handle it. So I've emailed them asking for specs on how to set it up.

culturejam

Got my answer from the board house (CustomPCB.com):

"Send it to us and we'll set it up."

;D

irmcdermott

Gotta love those kinds of answers :)

Jack Deville

Often times, it is just easier to allow the fab house to configure your array.
As always, there's a lot to consider when designing for an array format.
Maybe you remember derivatives/optimization theory from calculus?  You'll grow a new appreciation for these practices if so.

:)
Logic.  And Cats.  And logical cats.

culturejam

Damn, Jack. You are EVERYWHERE.  ;D

Quote from: Jack Deville on May 02, 2012, 02:38:28 AM
Maybe you remember derivatives/optimization theory from calculus? 

Took it twice. Didn't stick either time.  :D

Jack Deville

But it probably sucked hard!!

8)

I apply calculus in daily life.  My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy.
Logic.  And Cats.  And logical cats.

culturejam

When I was 18 and taking calculus, it was the last thing I wanted to be doing. But now I think I would do really well. Of course, I was also taking it at an engineering school along side guys who actually were going to end up being engineers.

Fun story: a buddy of mine from high school went to college with me (NC State), and we both took "Calc 1" together. At the end of the year he went back home and went to UNCW. He took their Calc 1 and 2 there, and he told me that they spread out the same material we had in one semester at NCSU into two semesters at UNCW.

Not trying to make excuses years later, but as a kid with math troubles to begin with, I had no business in that damn class. Either time. ;D