News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD! Almost, just ordered and can't contain the excitement

Started by irmcdermott, April 30, 2012, 12:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

I've never had a decent guitar amp (bass player primarily, although guitar is technically my first instrument), and I finally bought one that fits my needs. Just purchased a Vox Night Train 15W head and 112 cab. Love the sound of them and love that I will be able to go down to 7.5W when tinkering at home, but up to 15W if I need it to. WOOHOO! Thanks for sharing in my excitement. Thanks to all who helped me out by letting me etch boards for them.

Ian

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

alanp

Cool! I've heard good things about the Night Train :)

Just so's you're aware, 7.5W can still be bloody loud at full welly, and it will drive a quad box into piss-everyone-off range. It depends on speaker efficiency and the amount of square centimeters pushing air.

You'll have to post pics in the Show Us Your Rig thread when it arrives  :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

irmcdermott

Quote from: alanp on April 30, 2012, 12:42:28 PM
Cool! I've heard good things about the Night Train :)

Just so's you're aware, 7.5W can still be bloody loud at full welly, and it will drive a quad box into piss-everyone-off range. It depends on speaker efficiency and the amount of square centimeters pushing air.

You'll have to post pics in the Show Us Your Rig thread when it arrives  :D

Yeah, i know it can still be loud, but not as loud as 15w (at least that's what i'm telling the wife) :)

Pics will follow. I'm on the road for work for the next two weeks, so  had it shipped to my company's office (really small company) so I can swing by and pick it up on my way home from the airport.

Quote from: GermanCdn on April 30, 2012, 12:36:50 PM
Happy NAD day (that just sounds so wrong ::).

Haha, i know!

marmaliser

Congrats, cool amps :)
I have a laney Cub 15w that goes down to just 1w and when cranked through a 2x12 it is loud enough to piss everyone else in the house off

mgwhit

Just keep the volume low and build more dirt pedals!  Enjoy!

jkokura

Nice Ian. What made you go with the Vox? In the same range I'm really seriously looking at the smaller Egnater amps - Rebel 20 or Tweaker. The night train and another half dozen amps look similar, so what was the deciding factor?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Mike @ Rawkworks

I love seeing other guys NADs!

I was on the fence between this one and the Egnator Tweaker but I went the Tweaker route. I found out a guy I know has one of these and I got to play it some. Kinda looking forward to Marshall's 1 watt series this year...maybe I can finally snag a jcm 800 ;)

Congrats on your new amp!
Mike
mike@rawkworks.com

irmcdermott

Quote from: jkokura on April 30, 2012, 02:47:44 PM
Nice Ian. What made you go with the Vox? In the same range I'm really seriously looking at the smaller Egnater amps - Rebel 20 or Tweaker. The night train and another half dozen amps look similar, so what was the deciding factor?

Jacob

Really, when it comes down to it, I've always wanted an AC30 or AC15. I've just always have had a thing for Vox amps. I didn't really look to much at others because in my mind I just wanted a Vox. Played in bands where one guitar player had an AC30, while the other played a TopHat King Royale (AC30 derivative) and I just fell in love with the sound.

That's probably not the answer you are looking for, but it's all I got :)

Bret608

Congrats Ian! I love that Vox sound too so can't blame you. Let us know how pedal-friendly it is! Glad to see you were able to make this happen so quickly as well. Hopefully you will still be open to etching in the future!

irmcdermott

Yeah, I'll keep etching for anyone who wants it, Jacob was kind enough to make that a sticky thread. As long as it fits in the guidelines in that first thread, I'll do whatever. :)

Ian

timbo_93631

Good for you, a decent amp is so crucial!  There is a bunch of good info on that amp these days too.  There are so many great amps in that power level/price range now.  I have been itching to play through a VHT 12/20RT  Nice combo for $500, and "handwired" by Chinese kids to boot!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups