News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What's up with C7 on the 2012 Snarkdoodle?

Started by mgwhit, April 24, 2012, 03:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgwhit

Quote from: DutchMF on April 25, 2012, 07:38:16 PM
Right now I'm thinking about leaving the gain pot as it is, and changing the volume for a 100k, as I like the ridiculous amount of gain. Shame I'll have to de-solder the pot, so proud of how I got the whole deal in there...

To be fair, I have no idea if the A100K Volume pot is actually lowering any volume (although that, C5 and the audio-taper Gain pot are the only changes I have from stock Red Llama values).

I hate desoldering, too, so if you'd like I can compare my current A100K Volume pot with an A25K I've got and then I can tell you which knob position gets me unity gain for each pot.  Also, let's compare voltages on our IC's.  I think I've got 9.5V at the jack and about 5.95V on pin 1.  I'll have to double check, though.

mgwhit

Okay, I ran some quick tests.  Most Gain settings that I found usable required a Volume setting somewhere around 10 o'clock.  The lightest Gain setting I found useful (with audio-taper) was just past 9 o'clock and required an 11 o'clock Volume setting.  Gain maxed required a Volume setting of about 9 o'clock.

My pin-outs are a little different since I breadboarded and it was easier to get at the inverters on the right side of the chip, but the basics are like so:

Jack: 9.51V
Pin 1: 5.55V
Pin 8: 0V
Every grounded input pin: 0V
Every unused output pin: 5.54V
Every used input pin: 2.45V
Every used output pin: 2.45V

Hope that helps.

oldhousescott

Your voltages look off. Pin 8 (and hence every unused output pin) should have close to 9v. Pins 2, 3, 4, and 5 should have about half that, I would guess. What is your value of R7?

mgwhit

Quote from: oldhousescott on April 25, 2012, 10:29:04 PM
Your voltages look off. Pin 8 (and hence every unused output pin) should have close to 9v. Pins 2, 3, 4, and 5 should have about half that, I would guess. What is your value of R7?

You've written "Pin 8", but I think you mean Pin 1.  Pin 8 is grounded...we've been over that!  ;)

I'll have to recheck R7.  I'll admit that I didn't measure it before I threw it in my breadboard, but I distinctly remember clipping it out of a lot labeled 1K, though.  Maybe this is why I'm the only one getting tolerable volume from this circuit!

Edit: R7 = 984R, Brown-Black-Red-Gold carbon film.

oldhousescott

Woops, yes pin 1. And, I see now that R7 is 1k in the RL. Odd. 4ma of quiescent current will drop Vcc by 4 volts. With 4 gates grounded, I suppose it could be drawing 4ma. Maybe they do that to get a lower threshold of clipping against the PS rails.

DutchMF

I'll try to get some voltages, but I'm cramming for exams (may seventh, so they're approaching fast!) and only have some time to browse the forum now and then....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"