Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Learning pains

Started by icecycle66, April 22, 2012, 02:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

Quote from: courtneyisaboy on April 22, 2012, 11:05:56 PM
Quote from: timbo_93631 on April 22, 2012, 09:02:31 PM
Yeah, it works.  I learned it back when I used to hit the bong regularly.  Don't really miss those days!

are you sure you just weren't so high that you thought it worked.  i once thought i wrote a masterpiece when i was high, then i read it sober.  i went from being kurt vonnegut to stephenie meyer.
I'm sure because it still works and I quit smoking weed many years ago. 
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

icecycle66

I drilled my first box tonight, I think I need a bigger bit.

I have nice clean holes for everything but the foot switch.

What size bit do you guys use to drill foot switch holes?

Also, I don't think I'm going to be able to fit a battery in my box either.  Everything else is pretty crammed in.  You guys will see it all when I'm done and post the build thread.

jkokura

15/32"

I rarely include battery's also
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mgwhit

I find Irwin Unibits (#4 and #1) to be indispensible for drilling enclosures.

icecycle66

Oh, here's the pain part of when I was drilling the holes in my enclosure.

I don't have work bench so I do all this work on the table outside.

What I was supposed to do, was clamp a small pieceo of wood between the box and the table.  That way everything is secured to the table, and there is a piece of wood betweeen the drill point and my wifes metal patio table.

Well, when I clamped everything together, I missed the table and only clamped the box to the piece of wood.  This wood is a 14 inches by 5 inches.

I went on to start drilling my holes.  Everything was going fine until my bit caught and twisted the box, which twisted the board (as it was not clamped to the table).

No crap, there I was standing over a spinning box clamped to a 14 inch board with jagged ends.  The board whipped around and slugged me right in the nards.  Luckily, due to shock delay of getting popped in the ping-pong balls, I was able to stop drilling and lay the power tool down before doubleing over. 

I fell back into one of the chairs, clutching my man purse and pondering how this could have ever happened to such a wonderful person.   

The moral is, make sure whatever you clamp to is firmly affixed to something else.

timbo_93631

My condolences for your baby makers. 

This guy has never let me down, once a year they put it on sale for $99:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Speed-Baby-Drill-Press/G7942
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

alanp

Ouch. I clamp my enclosures down in Dad's heavy metalwork vice, then set to with a corded hand drill.

If I ever etch a PCB I might have to get a drill press.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Quote from: courtneyisaboy on April 22, 2012, 11:05:56 PM
Quote from: timbo_93631 on April 22, 2012, 09:02:31 PM
Yeah, it works.  I learned it back when I used to hit the bong regularly.  Don't really miss those days!

are you sure you just weren't so high that you thought it worked.  i once thought i wrote a masterpiece when i was high, then i read it sober.  i went from being kurt vonnegut to stephenie meyer.

:D :D ;D. I think we must have all had an experience like that.

GermanCdn

If you're going to use a scrap of wood to drill anyways, you might want to drill a couple of holes to secure your enclosure from the bottom and purchase a couple of longer screws (6-32, M3 or M4, depending on the enclosure make).  You can use the bottom plate for a template for the screw holes, and then you eliminate the risk of denting/scratching the enclosure with your clamps.  This won't help you with not getting hit in the nuts if you forget to clamp the wood down, but it might make for a prettier pedal to help ease the pain.

FWIW, if you're not going to use a drill press, pickup an inexpensive cordless drill with a slip clutch for screwing.  That way, if the bit binds, the clutch on the chuck will disengage and it won't spin out the enclosure or mess up your bit.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

icecycle66

I finished up my first build today. 

And man was it rough, I had to just sort of cram a bunch of stuff in the enclosure.  I'll need to clean up my build technique and move to 125 enclosures.

Nothing too painful, although I did super glue my fingers together.  I'm just gonna use 3mm LED with fancy little metal holders from now on.

Anyway, I'll do pics and clips and stuff later.

It works! ;D

oldhousescott

QuoteIt works!
And at the end of the day, that's all that matters!

Comfort Player

While pedal building can have it's dangerous aspects as you have already experienced there are a few tips that can help you out.  Let me offer some easy solutions to what you have expereinced so far

Situation  - "I've burnt the hell out of my left index finger.  I have a burn on the top and my tip is a little cooked. "

Solution - Turn the iron around, the other end is much cooler

Situation - "The board whipped around and slugged me right in the nards.  Luckily, due to shock delay of getting popped in the ping-pong balls, I was able to stop drilling and lay the power tool down before doubleing over.  "

Solution - Buy an Athletic cup and always wear it when drilling.  Also, as in situation 1 always make sure to have hold of the correct end when using the tool.  

;D ;D

Actually, experience and practice are your best friends.  Keep at it and over time you will learn the techniques that make it easier with each build.

Scour the board and learn from others mistakes and misfortunes as most of us struggle from time to time.  Stick with it, it is a rewarding hobby.

Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

gtr2

My condolences to Icecycle66's umm...ping pong balls...but..

Your post on drilling gave me a good laugh.  Not at you, but with you!  We've all been there from time to time on different parts of building, but the way you told the story made it priceless.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer