News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal Graphics- do I really have to learn a difficult graphics program??

Started by claytushaywood, April 21, 2012, 05:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

So... I've just begun to think about pedal graphics in the past couple months.  I've downloaded inkscape and done some tutorials... but I gotta say, I really dont enjoy using graphics programs.  I've never used any previously in my life.  I've used and have gotten pretty decent at pro tools and ableton and reason.  But for some reason this graphics program is driving me nuts.  Maybe I'm too old and dont have enough time... well i probably do have time, but I'd rather build new pedals.

Just a couple questions...
-If you use inkscape or photoshop or something, about how long does it take you to complete a graphic for a pedal from start to finish?  I'm talking like once you're good at it...
-Any of you have trouble with it in the beginning and eventually get good at it?

Now the real question... do I have to use inkscape to make layouts and graphics? 

I was thinking about this method- check it out... I drill my enclosure out completely using the good ole hand measuring technique... then I trace the outline of the enclosure with all the holes for the knobs and switches onto a piece of paper.  Then I scan it into my computer.  I use a simpler program.  I tried this with paint, but I dont think paint is gonna cover it (i have a mac, so maybe paint is different than mspaint, but it sucks on apple.  I just make sure everything stays actual size and drag text boxes around to make labels etc...

Would this method work and does anyone know a good super simple program for this method?  I would just like to make super simple graphics that I steal from the internet and mostly do this to make labels for knobs.

I really dig the simple look (although I would love to do etchings) and I really just wanna do some simple labels, but I hate the idea of them having a raised edge around them and having to hand center them and all that jazz.

So should I just try this method or should I really put in the time to learn inkscape?  it seems like it takes just as much time to make a graphic and put it on as it does to build the whole dang pedal!

anyone use nice paint pens to label knobs and switches?  Do you have any examples of your work?  Can you clearcoat paint pens?  and do they work on powder coated enclosures? 

i'm also looking for a good hammertone spray paint tutorial?  and has anyone tried the spray cans that shift colors based on the viewing angle?  saw those at home depot the other day

jkokura

I use Inkscape. I learned it because of it's precision. It was difficult for me at first, but that's only because I didn't grasp the concept of vector based images. Once I started to get into it, I picked it up pretty quickly.

What speeds things up for me now is both my familiarity with the program, but also that I now have all my sizes nailed down and have templates for the various size enclosures I use consistently. You'll see in my pedals that I use standardized graphics formats. Now if I want something simple I can do it in a couple minutes, literally. Select font, type in correct labels, orient and align everything correctly, done.

Your method sounds difficult and time consuming, but it is simpler than learning a new piece of software I guess.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

juansolo

Photoshop user and I'd say it depends. If I've an idea what I'm going for I can do a design in an hour or so. If not and I'm throwing things around, daaaaaaaays until I come up with something I'm happy with.

As it stands I've a few templates for different sized boxes and layouts that I tend to use. Once you've got a few of them that you're happy with, it's quite easy.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

claytushaywood

I guess the thing that would make it easiest would be if I could get templates already made.  Is that something that people share or is that a rite of passage kind of thing?

jkokura

depends on what you're looking for. Mostly people do things differently, so if you see a layout or some sort of template you really like you could try kindly asking if they have a template they would share.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

derevaun

When it comes down to it, a word processor isn't all that different from a vector drawing program. It thinks in vectors, but it lacks the open-ended freedom, which is also the source of Inkscape's steep learning curve.

If you're comfortable with Word or Open Office Writer, you could get good results by using tabs and forcing line spacing (72 points = 1 inch, etc). It'd take some trial & error, and some time lining up drafts over a pedal with alight source underneath, e.g., but it would probably save time for some more enjoyable phase of the process.

pryde

I would just stick with Inkscape. Yes there is a learning curve but it is worth it once you have it down. Now that I have several templates done from previous builds, I can create a new pedal graphic in a matter of minutes.

Google is your friend when trying to learn specific functions of Inkscape. For example, you could search for "Inkscape rounding corners" etc. if you can't figure it out on your own.

When the graphic is complete, I print out drafts (sometimes several) to tweak final alignments on the actual pedal enclosure.

gtr2

Learning Inkscape is worth the effort.  There are a lot of possibilities with the program.  A quick google search and the tutorials offered on the site can help get you on the right track.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

juansolo

Quote from: claytushaywood on April 22, 2012, 12:08:02 AM
I guess the thing that would make it easiest would be if I could get templates already made.  Is that something that people share or is that a rite of passage kind of thing?

K, I've chucked a few in here: http://www.juansolo.demon.co.uk/misc/PStmps/

PSD format. They cover the small, medium and large boxes I use. The small is a 4 knob layout with battery provision under the stomp. The med has no battery provision. The large is a Klonish layout with battery prov next to the stomp. Obv feel free to add/subtract and move anything around to your liking. Layers are your friend. Suss that and the rest is easy.

claytushaywood

Quote from: juansolo on April 23, 2012, 07:54:56 AM
Quote from: claytushaywood on April 22, 2012, 12:08:02 AM

K, I've chucked a few in here: http://www.juansolo.demon.co.uk/misc/PStmps/

PSD format. They cover the small, medium and large boxes I use. The small is a 4 knob layout with battery provision under the stomp. The med has no battery provision. The large is a Klonish layout with battery prov next to the stomp. Obv feel free to add/subtract and move anything around to your liking. Layers are your friend. Suss that and the rest is easy.

Are those layouts for me to use in inkscape... or something else?
I guess I'll try to learn inkscape after all the enthusiasm!  thanks!

juansolo

Ah, sorry, they're PSD (Photoshop) format. No idea if inkscape can import them with all the layers intact :(

Guybrush

Fastocker

I would recommend sticking with Inkscape or a similar graphics program.  Although I've never actually used Inkscape I did download it, opened it up and took a peak -- it appears to be very similar to the older version of CorelDRAW! that I use.  I just sat down and taught myself how to use DRAW . . . just open a blank document and start.  Use tutorials if available, check the HELP command, etc.  Frustrating at first but you'll get the hang of it.

I always go back to what the owner of the company where I work would say whenever I was whining about not knowing how to do something (or having too much to do) . . . he'd let me go on and on, he'd pause . . . then he'd simply say "Just sit down at the fu#%in' computer and make it happen!".  You know, he was right.

For layout work, I use a similar procedure as described in the original post -- I drill an enclosure and then I lay the actual drilled box directly onto my flatbed scanner and scan it.  I crop the image of the box in Photoshop and then import it into DRAW.  I use the Order command to set the box image at the back so everything I draw will appear on top.  I even scan the actual knobs I'll be using to import and convert them to transparent TIF files; this way I can lay them on the box in DRAW and see through them to properly align them to the pot holes.

Doing this also gives you a good idea of what a pedal is going to look like in it's final form.
Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

pickdropper

Quote from: Guybrush on April 24, 2012, 10:14:31 AM
Would you recommend Inkscape over Adobe Illustrator? 

I think that most folks like Inkscape because it is a free alternative to Illustrator (which is very pricey).

Right now I use Illustrator because I already had a copy of it and it plays nicely with Photoshop.  Inkscape might play nicely with Photoshop files as well, but I haven't tried yet.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

TNblueshawk

I also have a Mac. For $39 I bought an app called Pixelmator Clay. I did this as I'm really dumb with computers...no really...I am...and the last thing I wanted to deal with was compatibility issues as I can't troubleshoot them. I signed up on their forum, viewed their tutorials, got some dude names Sebastian to constantly answer my questions, poor bastard  :D, and off I went.

Anyway, due to my ignorance, it drove me nuts trying to figure it out. But, once I did all is well. Now I only use 5% of it for my pedal stuff, but that's all I need.

I typically take album covers off the internet, I guess that's just my thing, and put them on my pedals. But I do all kinds of stuff with some of them etc.. font is different on every pedal etc... But, to answer your question once I pick a photo I want to pilch it takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to maybe 2 hours to finish one. This depends on how crazy I want to be with it really. A lot of it is me playing around with where to put the words, the font, what freaky thing I might want to do with the photo. I've only recently built the same pedal twice, otherwise I build one and then move on to another. As such, I have no use for templates. I'm always wanting to put my knobs in weird places anyway.
John