News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD: Handmade Nocaster Copy (Relic'd Content)

Started by tenwatt, April 18, 2012, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenwatt

I HATE relic'd guitars.  The whole idea of it makes me cringe.  BUT someone locally offered me this guitar for my POG2 and one of my OCD clones.  I was curious about the guitar due to the pickups (Rocketfire Tele pickups).  The guy brought it over and I couldn't put it down.

The body was hand built by a luth in San Diego (Doug Alders?  I can't find any info on him), the neck is a Warmoth "C" tele neck, the pickups are Rocketfire teles, and it's wired with two tone pots (no volume).  

All of my guitars are in great shape.  I don't baby my gear but I don't abuse it either.  With that being said...I couldn't put this guitar down.  I'm not sure what the two tone pots are doing but whatever it is...it's amazing.  The front pot seems to control the treble but there is a little boost at the end of the sweep that really gets the tone in a sweet spot.  There is a LOT of options in those pots.  Probably the most diverse tones I've ever heard through the sweep of two tone pots.  The Rocketfire pickups are HOT yet quiet (noise wise).  It's heavy as a brick and everything is straight and solid.  

I never thought I'd own such a guitar but I'm proud to say I do.  Julie (my wife) asked me "You're not going to actually play that out anywhere are you?"  

Yes...yes I am.

Not too bright....

tenwatt

Well...the pics showed up in the preview but not once I submitted it.  I'll upload them to Photobucket later and fix it.  I can't access Photobucket from work.

*EDIT*...and now I see them again.  Crazy!
Not too bright....

jkokura

and now I can't...

Perhaps you need a different host?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

tenwatt

Not too bright....

slimtriggers

That is exactly how a Tele should look!   Love it 8)

jkokura

A Pog 2 and an OCD? Holy good deal batman.

Let me know when you want to get rid of it. I will take that from you for some pedals and cash.

Also, I really like that guitar. Excellent relic job.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jtn191

courtneyisaboy

tenwatt

Quote from: courtneyisaboy on April 19, 2012, 07:05:21 AM
but how does it SOUND!!!
I went into the sound in the third paragraph of my first post but to elaborate...it sounds very, very good.  I have a 52 Reissue and this guitar sounds nearly identical to that in the bridge position.  The neck seems to not have the same amount of bottom end as my RI when the pots are pegged out but by tweaking the pots I'm getting a pretty similar sound.

To put it short...it sounds like a slightly livelier version of my 52 Reissue with more tonal options via the two tone pots.
Not too bright....

gtr2

LOVE IT.

I've got a relic'd black tele.  It's my go to guitar.  It's nice not having to worry about nicks and scratches  ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mjcyates

G.G.

if you ever get a chance to pop off the front plate and draw up a wiring diagram, I would be interested in how the two tone knobs are wired up. Sounds kinda cool.

tenwatt

Quote from: G.G. on April 19, 2012, 03:13:55 PM
if you ever get a chance to pop off the front plate and draw up a wiring diagram, I would be interested in how the two tone knobs are wired up. Sounds kinda cool.
I'll do it tonight if I don't forget.
Not too bright....

DutchMF

That is one sweet looking guitar! I would probably ruin it by putting a singlecoil sized Duncan humbucker in the bridge, so don't let me near it. Enjoy!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.