News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Serendipity IC Question

Started by frankie5fingers, April 16, 2012, 09:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

Hello all.  I did some searches and there are quite a few options.  Most of the posts discuss the AD712, OPA2604 and 2134, JRC4558 and TL2272.  This post or that says the one they used is great and they love it  but doesn't really explain why.  Obviously there's a socket so I can try 'em all. but does anyone have a favorite?  The tone I'd like is tight, med gain, and smooth throughout the range - not mid heavy, nor ratty.  Some are cheap enough, but a nice TI or BB device will be 6-7 ea if I buy em from a US vendor, so before I spend a bunch for all of them, I'd love to hear if one or two are clear favorites.
Thanks

slimtriggers

For my money, I'd experiment with diodes before messing around with the op-amp.  I have BAT41's in mine and love it.

frankie5fingers

I have the BAT41s on the way.  Which OpAmp are you using - the AD712?

irmcdermott

I haven't tried other op amps, but mine has a JRC4558 in it with all BAT41s and it sounds great.

Haberdasher

I tried a few and my favorite was the tlc2272 until i tried opa2604 the other day.  Now I'm done swapping. :)
I'm not very good at explaining why though. Hmmn...it sounds good?

fwiw, I never tried ad712 or opa2134.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

frankie5fingers

"It sounds good" works - I'm lookin' for the favorites.  I have a 4558 and a 2134 on the way.  I'll try those and a 2604 and see where it goes.  Thanks.

claytushaywood

Quote from: Haberdasher on April 17, 2012, 02:21:12 PM
I tried a few and my favorite was the tlc2272 until i tried opa2604 the other day.  Now I'm done swapping. :)
I'm not very good at explaining why though. Hmmn...it sounds good?

fwiw, I never tried ad712 or opa2134.

Damnit I demoed a bunch (except the tlc2272 and opa2604) and stuck with the opa2134a I was gonna try the tlc2272 on this new one.

does anyone feel like two zen's in a box would be as cooler than holographic tupac?

I think the reason is that everything sounds good in this circuit- it's just the bomb!  But yeh I liked the burr brown opa2134a out of my demos with the... jrc4558, tl072, jrc4559, and I recently tried the ad712 and thought the burr brown was a good deal different.  The burr brown seemed... quicker, a faster reactive.  the ad712 reminded me of like santana's slow singing sustain sound, you know how his attack just seems kinda slow and swelly? 

...i realy hadnt even thought of santana in like 5 years either, it was weird

guycapuano

Quote from: claytushaywood on April 18, 2012, 06:53:27 AM
Quote from: Haberdasher on April 17, 2012, 02:21:12 PM

does anyone feel like two zen's in a box would be as cooler than holographic tupac?

Nope, not a whole lot cooler than that. i had a tl082 in there, very RATTY, NOW I AM GOING JRC4558