News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

80's Mesa/Boogie trade for '68 Bassman?...

Started by k.rock!, April 06, 2012, 03:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

k.rock!

Fellow wise beaners...a guy on Craigslist wants me to trade my 80's Mesa/Boogie .50 Dual Caliber+ head for a 1968 Fender Bassman head. He claims his amp works great, just retubed recently. thoughts?

Here's the picture he sent me:

Here's my Mesa:

If I don't make the trade, I'm selling my amp for $475. Here's the link to it:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/2883608020.html

I just wanna get input on this trade from you guys. If it turns into a conversation of somebody wanting to buy or trade then maybe Jacob can move this thread to the Buy/Sell/Trade section. :)

Thanks dudes!

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

sgmezei

475 for a baseman sounds wicked. Can't build it for that much really.

Tons of mods for it too. I would do it since you can always use a chunk chunk haha. But seriously, I would do it if I wasnt using the Mesa. You Can make that thing sing.

timbo_93631

I agree.  If it hasn't had a cap job yet you should figure that into the cost, but it is very easy work provided you do it safely, and the filter caps are only going to be about $50 if you use F&T's or Sprague Atoms.  Nice thing about Blackface and Silverface Bassmans is that you can set up the two channels very differently so you had "Fender tone" on one channel and "Marshall tone" on the other.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

bigmufffuzzwizz

If that's really a 68 then its a early model silverface, right after the transition. I believe there were less circuit changes in the earlier ones than the 70's versions. I have some friends who've gone through a few blackfaces. Always great sounding amps especially with the right cab/speaker set-up. Usually go from $500 upwards to about $800 being the most you'd get. What did you end up doing with this?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

k.rock!

I still have it. My reasoning was that the 68 bassman I can find for 300 bucks anywhere, plus if I ever wanted to resell that, it's resale value would be lower than what I would get with my Mesa which is in great shape. So I felt like in a way I was trading down...

I still have it listed on Craigslist for sale or trade, so let's see :) If any of you guys are interested, let me know and we can work out a deal ;)

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com