News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mini boards parts

Started by claytushaywood, March 28, 2012, 02:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

So I saw some info on one of the mini boards documents about parts selections to make these things as compact as possible.  thought i'd ask the crowd about some stuff.  it seems like getting new everything in terms of components might turn me away from building all of these... or at least some!

Are 1/8watt resistors absolutely nescessary?  putting resistors in the end up way doesnt get too tall really... I cant see how these would be taller than electroltyics?

I see how box caps would be too big... what about those panasonic ecq's?  i have a bunch of those and they are considerably shorter but maybe fatter... will they work?

Lytics- i have a bunch of tants- but I was wondering where to get the best deal (and what is the exact model) of the super squat electrolytics?  All my tayda lytics are tall as hell and definitely wont work.  where can i get some low priced squat 'lytics?

multilayer ceramics  for larger film caps- do these ceramics really sound okay enough?  I would normally only allow ceramics of any value higher than 500pf in a fuzz or dirt pedal.

Also- anyone know of any other cool enclosures.  I found this dude that has some super sick ones on etsy.  check out the link below

http://www.etsy.com/listing/88758448/bibbtronics-creepshow?ref=v1_other_1

bigmufffuzzwizz

1/8 watt resistors are suggested because they fit the layout, but 1/4 watt inserted how you describes will work fine.

Panasonic ecq's will work fine, they are usually pretty small. I've used the multi layer ceramics and they never seem to cause me any problems. The ones I have read a wider tolerance that film/mylar but still sound fine.

I believe Madbean shows some sources on his baby build document for small electros. Me thinks the place your gonna find them is mouser.

Pedal enclosures is great source, some custom stuff. Look up LMB/Heeger for a lot of custom shape like the one in that guys etsy. He always uses cool enclosures. There was one of his gnarly fuzz pedals in a local guitar shop built in a fiberglass casing that looked like a Volvo tail light.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

claytushaywood

Yeh I found the baby boards doc after i posted this, everything was taken care of in there.

Yeh the LMB Heeger has some sweet looking stuff for great looking prices.  I'm having trouble with imagining some of their measurements on their site.  have you ordered any stuff from there?  have any examples?  the small desktop modular enclosures look like they could have some awesome potential... maybe that's what he used in the link I posted

bigmufffuzzwizz

I was looking at their store on mouser. Had to pull up the datasheet which gave the measurements for all the different part numbers. The "A" style enclosure is what your looking for and they have all of them listed. My buddies been wanting a big ass box for his muff and they make them pretty darn huge.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: claytushaywood on April 15, 2012, 05:20:15 PM
Yeh I found the baby boards doc after i posted this, everything was taken care of in there.

Yeh the LMB Heeger has some sweet looking stuff for great looking prices.  I'm having trouble with imagining some of their measurements on their site.  have you ordered any stuff from there?  have any examples?  the small desktop modular enclosures look like they could have some awesome potential... maybe that's what he used in the link I posted

The LMB enclosures are indeed interesting.  They also stock them at Fry's, for those of you that live near one.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

claytushaywood

have you guys ever used the smaller slope top ones?  I'm trying to imagine one.  some of em dont have really complete measurments as I recall, it's been a few days since I looked.  perfect stuff for super sized pedals!