News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Neutrino popping loudly?

Started by add4, March 23, 2012, 07:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

I have just boxed a neutrino (my design, not madbean's same schematic, only sub is BAT46 for diodes), it pops loudly when the effect is turned on. I want to get rid of that.

What i tried :
- increase R1 to 3.3M then 10M -> no change
- Add a 10uF cap between the + and - legs of the LED -> no change
- change the switch -> no change

i'm short of ideas.. if anyone can help i'll be glad to try his/her(?) suggestion !!

THanks in advance

add4

the rules of electronics are strange ...
i closed the box so i could at least try it a bit even with popping, and... it doesn't pop anymore..
is there any reasonable explanation to that?

bangerang101

Not sure what the cause was in your situation but for future refrence, theres a few other ways to get rid of circuit "pops" when engaging/disengaging effects.

Ive had good success in the past w/ the following methods to cure circuit "pops" (asside from the more well known methods)

- a 100k "pulldown" resistor from output to gnd will eliminate pop, in most circuits (assuming the circuit doesn't already have this pulldown resistor integrated into the circuit). To accomplish this, I ususally just solder the 100k resistor between the output jacks "tip" lug and "sleeve" (ground) lug.

-swap the input capacitor w/ a new/different one... the input capacitor can be the culprit for "pops" if it is faulty/bad.

- make sure nothing is touching against something where it is not supposed to (ie, circuit board touching metal casing on potentiometers), and make sure everything is grounded properly.

W/ those few tips, I'll bet you can eliminate pops 90% of the time. In some cases you just have to live w/ it though, if your using a mechanical switch (non-relay type switching), to bypass the circuit.
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)

add4

Thanks for this list, i was hoping for something like that when i posted.
i copy pasted your answer in a file for future reference.

Thanks for your input.

bangerang101

Hey, no problem man... glad I could help!
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)