News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag does not get power if it is mounted inside the enclosure.

Started by reaganomics!, March 06, 2012, 11:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reaganomics!

I made and earlier thread http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3887.0.

The problem was that the road rage was getting 9v in and nothing out with the regulator becoming extremely hot very quickly.

I figured the problem was with the road rage not passing the voltage at some point in the circuit. I bought a new regulator and charge pump, and a new board. I put the new board together and tested it before hooking it up to the dirtbag and everything checked out.

I hooked it up to the dirtbag board and all of a sudden it was not passing voltage.  I thought back to when it did work hooked up to my prototype box.  I remembered I had not had the overload Led/transistor hooked up yet at that point.  I took the board out of the box and it worked! 

I figured, because the LED was mounted to the board but was twisted a bit to fit in the hole of the enclosure it must have been shorting out somewhere.  I took it and the transistor off the board and it worked again!  I put a new LED in and had wires coming off the leads so it wouldn't short out against the enclosure or something and tested it again.  It worked so I put it in the box. 

Once it was boxed NOTHING.  I cut the LED wires and took out the transistor again and it still did not work. Unscrewed the pots and took the board out and it works again.

TL;DR.  For whatever reason it seems like the board will not receive power if the pots/switch are touching the enclosure.  Does this make any sense to anyone? ???

jkokura

Something is grounding, likely your power. Can you tell me what kind of DC jack you're using? Have you properly shielded the PCBs from touching the enclosure?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

reaganomics!

I am using the external plastic jack from small bear

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=666

So far I've only put electric tape under the pots so that the bottoms wouldn't be touching the board traces. I am fairly certain that no part of the board touches the enclosure, just the pots.

I'm wondering if the road rage has me confused about grounding.  I have the ground on the jack going to the ground on the road rage and to the sleeve of the input jack.  The sleeve of the input jack also goes to the ground of the footswitch (wired as per madbean's layouts).  The board's ground only goes to the output ground of the road rage. 

Perhaps I should connect one of the extra grounds on the board to something else?

bangerang101

Your DC power jack is the right kind to use (plastic body which isolates it from the enclosure, so power doesn't get grounded out).

As long as all the grounds are connected to each other at some point (including pc boards, 1/4" jacks, dc power jack, and the bypass switch,) your grounds should be fine...

If it's working fine outside of the enclosure but not working when you box it up, then probability says that it's something shorting out on something... Just gotta figure out what it is.
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)

reaganomics!

So, I added a ground going from the board to the input jack, instead of it just being grounded to only the road rage.  Found a cold solder joint on the mod pot.  Still, problems when I screwed the pots in too tight. 

Taped the hell out of the board and the pots, added washers and what not between the pots and the enclosure and now it works.  If I had to guess I think it was the switch causing problems if it was screwed in too tight?

jkokura

You cannot screw the pots or switch in too tight. You do not need to isolate those parts from the enclosure, in fact they need to make a metal to metal connection to the enclosure.

Some pictures and some specific voltages would be helpful at this point.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

reaganomics!

Can you tell me where I might want to check the voltages?  On all of the ICs?

either way here's some pictures.