News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

acoustic pedals???

Started by alexander.x, March 03, 2012, 03:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexander.x

hi all. I was hoping somebody might know of a decent acoustic guitar pedal project.
is there such a beast? I've looked around but nothing.
probably because its a dumb idea?
something that would just add a bit of eq, tone control, touch of boost...?
And could run direct into the board. (XLR?)

Looking for ways to find my own sound and improve my tone, one glob of solder at at time.

jkokura

You're talking about a combo preamp and DI project. Doable, probably available, but likely not worth it. There are plenty of good products out there that will cost less. Particularly when it comes to a DI.

I hate to discourage you. You can do this if you want. Look for preamp and DI projects to combine.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

alexander.x

good suggestions thnx...oh I dont get discouraged easily. My acoustic has the usual onboard "4 band eq / volume". I tried using just a chorus pedal slightly then into a di box and it was...just not right...?

Looking for ways to find my own sound and improve my tone, one glob of solder at at time.

jkokura

I understand that. But perhaps in that case you're in need more of something like a different onboard preamp and Di box? What I've found is that when you're stacking preamps on top of each other it's not quite kosher. I spent a lot of good money on my pickup in my acoustic, and I did it the justice of a really great DI from Radial (the JDI). I am very satisfied with my tone because of that.

Acoustic instruments are very different animals than electrics. You can get away with mediocre stuff with guitars, like cheap pickups and an inexpensive amp. Pedals make up for some of that. Acoustic guitars are much less forgiving. If you don't invest in the quality pickups and DI's...

That's my opinion though. I don't mean to soapbox, but it's one of the few times I'll try and convince someone away from pedals. I don't deny that using good pedals can help give you a different flavour or even enhance your acoustic tone somewhat, but I honestly don't think that another preamp project and homemade DI box will truly give you the results you're looking for.

The exception to that is to build a clone of a Radial DI using a quality Jensen transformer or the like. The Jensen transformer can be had for about $85 plus shipping I think. I forget where I saw that price.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

alexander.x

that sounds good. I will rethink my direction on this with my new found info.
there was a pedal maker "heavenly tone" (no longer in the biz but still has website) that made the "Koinonia". (google it) and it looked sooo cool.

jkokura

I just did. Looks like it's a pair of GGG effects, a chorus and a delay pedal, with some transfomers somehow integrated into the input and output. Apparently that was done specifically to work with the Taylor Expression system. Certainly looks cool, but it's nothing special effects wise. The special part may be the input and output transformers that step down from the Low Z input and step it back up to Low Z on the way out.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jtn191

hey Jacob, what kind of acoustic pickups do you have? I've got a SD Woody (maybe it could be EQ'd better)...looking for something a little more hi-fi

jkokura

Jeff, I use a Fishman Matrix 2. When I bought it, it was $250 Canadian. I bought my guitar at the same time, a Yairi DY92, and they installed it for free as a part of the deal.

I think the Fishman Matrix 2 is no longer made, but there are a large number of comparable products available.

I took a quick look, and I don't think the Woody would be my first choice for an acoustic pickup. It seems like it's marketed for sound on the cheap, not necessarily giving the true acoustic tone you hear with your ears to your audience.

I have no idea what I'd be looking at today if I wanted to get an acoustic pickup. I know that LR Baggs stuff is really great, and my experience with Fishman has been very good. I am fascinated by the systems that combine the Peizo pickup and the condenser pickup in the body which gets blended and delivered through the output. Those systems fascinate me, and I've certainly heard some very very good sounding guitars using those. I'd look at those if I were in that spot again.

On another note, I'm learning some cut capo stuff on acoustic, and it's really bringing some excitement back into my acoustic playing again. I'm going to be trying some flatwound strings soon also.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*