News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover: No Effect

Started by eldanko, February 26, 2012, 07:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

You're not getting any varied pins at all now? That means both have locked up.

Check the pin out of your 2N5087, it may be worth pulling it and trying higher gain transistors along with other diodes, this section is infuriatingly picky.

D1 substitute is fine but try a 1N914 in D2, the higher capacitance of the 1N4007 diode seems to be the cause of issues in that section.
Works at Lectric-FX

eldanko

I swapped a 1N914 into D2, no perceivable change. What transistor would you recommend for Q2?  Pinout on my 2N5087 is E-B-C.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

Scruffie

Does the 2N5087 match the board though? Have you put it in the right way... there are different brands with different pin outs sooo...

A 2N5087 is fine, just depends which one.
Works at Lectric-FX

eldanko

The 2N5087 has the pinout actually printed on it (which is nice), and I double checked the orientation with the schematic and it does appear to be in there correctly.  I swapped it with another 2N5087 I had and perceived no change.

Is there anything else I should try before attempting to swap out D1 as well? That little bugger is going to be near impossible to get to...

Scruffie

Quote from: eldanko on March 28, 2012, 10:59:10 PM
The 2N5087 has the pinout actually printed on it (which is nice), and I double checked the orientation with the schematic and it does appear to be in there correctly.  I swapped it with another 2N5087 I had and perceived no change.

Is there anything else I should try before attempting to swap out D1 as well? That little bugger is going to be near impossible to get to...
D1 shouldn't need changing.

So... you're sure all the values you're using are correct... you've swapped the chips... you've swapped the diode and transistor.

Here's some working voltages Lacesensor posted
LM324
1-4.6
2-4.6
3-4.2
4-9.2
5-1.4 - 2.0 ish
6- varies
7- varies
8-jumps 0.6 up to 7.5 and back
9-4.2
10-varies
11-0
12-4.2
13-4.3
14-varies

LM311
1-0
2-varies
3-varies
4-0
5-9.2
6-9.3
7-varies
8-9.2
Works at Lectric-FX

eldanko

Here's what I'm getting now:

LM324
1-4.7
2-4.7
3-4.6
4-9.4
5-1.0-2.0 ish
6- 1.1-2.0
7- varies
8-jumps 0.6 up to 8.1 and back
9-4.4
10-varies
11-0
12-4.4
13-4.4
14-varies

LM311
1-0
2-varies
3-varies
4-0
5-9.4
6-9.4
7-varies btwn 7.0 and 9.0
8-9.4

So... Not locked up anymore? 

I double checked all resistor values in that area and found no problems...

Scruffie

Lookin' better! Now try playing with that cap value and readjusting the clock and bias.
Works at Lectric-FX

eldanko

I just tried a series of values ranging from 10pF to 220pF in C18... still can only get a very intermittent flange, and that's generally only when I bump up the Rate a bit...

eldanko

I've been trying to bias at 9V and 12V.  Would bumping to 15V help at all?

Scruffie

Quote from: eldanko on March 29, 2012, 03:42:40 PM
I've been trying to bias at 9V and 12V.  Would bumping to 15V help at all?
I doubt it, it shouldn't be that tricky to bias, while clock and bias do interact a bit it's not massive.

This has got me a bit stumped... can you 'manually' flange it in filter matrix mode?

If so we can either rule out or pin point it to the clock/LFO
Works at Lectric-FX

eldanko

Yes, this is easily the most vexing debug I've ever had to deal with.  I'm learning a lot, but I sure wish I could get the blasted thing to function. 

No luck manually flanging, after twiddling the trimpots and controls several different ways.

Scruffie

Quote from: eldanko on March 30, 2012, 03:03:35 PM
Yes, this is easily the most vexing debug I've ever had to deal with.  I'm learning a lot, but I sure wish I could get the blasted thing to function. 

No luck manually flanging, after twiddling the trimpots and controls several different ways.
Hmm.. might have spotted something, check the values of R20/21/25/26 C16 and make sure the joints are good.

I'm wondering if it's the Filter matrix switch itself or the opamp feeding the 311.
Works at Lectric-FX

TNblueshawk

Hey ED, as I prepare for this build, did you ever find the issue?
John

eldanko

Sadly.... no.

This thing has been the "Moby Dick" of my pedal building experience thus far.

Scruffie generously offered to take a look at it, but after calculating the costs of shipping it across the Atlantic and back, I think I may just take another hack at it with a new board since the more expensive parts are socketed anyway.

I'll certainly keep this thread updated if there's any new developments!  It breaks my heart, as the enclosure I have planned for this one is pretty freakin badass.

TNblueshawk

Bummer man. I'll build mine in your honor  :)
John