News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

a question about wire

Started by chromesphere, February 22, 2012, 12:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hi guys,

I've been using this wire for a while now, i think i salvaged it, cant remember where from though.  I've nearly ran out, and i really want some more of the same.  I've been stripping it with the AWG 20 / 0.8mm slot on my wire strippers so thats what size it is i guess.  its copper stranded, plastic/pvc coated, nothing fancy.  

My question is "0.8mm" the size of the plastic coating, or the copper wire inside?  Also if you use the same stuff, where do you get it?  Its thin wire, but i reckon its perfect for guitar pedals.  I used to use bigger awg 16-18 approx "light gauge hook up wire", and found it alot messier / takes up too much room inside the enclosure with complicated builds.

Edit: To refine the question.  Am i looking for an outer diametre of 0.8mm?

Thanks for your help!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

TNblueshawk

Wish I could say for sure Paul. I want to say it is the outer diameter. I posted a similar question at BYOC one time but my account was obliterated, lost 5000 posts, and I can't recall. I ususally save this stuff due to a bad memory but I guess I didn't in this case. Attached is what is left of the post without me in it  :'(

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32972&p=272008&hilit=wire+diameter#p272008

But the wiki reference might help you. I was buying some glow in the dark wire trying to figure this out. I'm still not sure though as the wire I got was too darn small and I thought I had the right diamter so.......

Some of the best wire I've used for pedals is from Barry's place at guitarpcb hands down. Just my opinion of course. I have gotten the 50ft strands from Small Bear as my other choice.
John

chromesphere

Thanks john,

GLOW IN THE DARK CABLE!!!  Did you make a pedal with it?   Pics?  I recently sprayed a box with a glow in the dark powder coat.  The actual color looks pretty good (a reddish color).  Man that stuff reeks.  Must be the phosphorus or something.  I couldnt get the smell off me for days and the box still smells a bit. Maybe ill call it "The Smell in the Dark" lol Unfortunately the glow in the dark component didnt work well.  I have to hold a light to it point blank for like, 30 secs, and the glow in the dark effect only lasts for about 5 seconds if that.  :(  Shame....I'm thinking of doing a UV reactive pedal next actually.  UV LED's, UV wire, and flouro pens.  :D  Anyway, i digress...

Sounds like its safe to assume its the outer diametre (the total diametre).  I've since been to my electronics shop and found some microphone cable that has 4 cores of good sized wire inside so i will probably use that for a while and see how it goes.  Its $1.40 for a meter (times 4 -> 4 cores) so its cheap enuf. Copper stranded as well.  I tried telephone cable wire but it was just a little bit too small. This stuff should work for a while.

Om_Audio

Mojo question- does copper wire sound any different than reg wire? Solid vs stranded? Thicker/thinner? During my first build I would just be fascinated that after my big guitar cables the entire signal goes through this cheap thin wire. But it works, that is for sure.
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

chromesphere

Thicker would have less resistance, copper is a better conductor then...whatever the silver stuff is...but i suspect at the end of the day, unless you have cat like hearing, your not going to noticed any difference, even if you used a piece of micron thick copper wire.  Well maybe then but you know what i mean :D I think wire is mainly a matter of preference.
Paul

TNblueshawk

I finished the Karateshop with that wire and....it didn't work. I have not done any troubleshooting yet as using that wire burned me out on that build. I'm willing to bet that the wire is too thin and I don't have a good mechanical connection in spots.
John

pickdropper

Quote from: Om_Audio on February 23, 2012, 10:01:21 AM
Mojo question- does copper wire sound any different than reg wire? Solid vs stranded? Thicker/thinner? During my first build I would just be fascinated that after my big guitar cables the entire signal goes through this cheap thin wire. But it works, that is for sure.
C

Copper wire is regular wire.  You can get some esoteric stuff, like silver wire, but copper is the norm.

There are all sorts of opinions about solid vs. stranded, but I prefer stranded wire for hook-up wire as it doesn't fatigue as easily as solid core and is much more reliable.

Your big guitar cables likely have a much thicker cable jacket because they are designed for stage use, and are generally not treated with the utmost care.  Hook-up wire inside a chassis shouldn't be pulled, bent and tweaked much once it is in place. 

The gauge of wire you need is really determined by how much current is going through it (in this case not much).  Usually folks use 22 or 24 gauge, but you could go thicker or thinner (within reason) if you want.  I prefer 24 gauge, but you can go with what you feel most comfortable with.

Hope that helps.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pedalman

Anybody know the difference between type C and type D hookup wire ?  i see that one has a thicker skin, any other difference ?  I been shopping around on ebay and see all kinds of wire. Anyone use those Lionel wire packs ?
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.