News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A couple of non Madbean builds (hope that's ok)

Started by tagwap, February 18, 2012, 09:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tagwap

First up we have the 'tap tremolo' from musicpcb. Very versatile and great fun to build.

and due to many requests i'm finally including gutshots of these builds!

Next up we have the brilliant MoRC modified ross compressor. I didn't get on so well with this board. The solder just seemed to rebel against flowing onto the pcb. Its was tricky to work with but it did fire up first time so no worries. It's around my 20th build so I didn't do anything different and by comparison the neutrino I populated today from haberdasher was a pleasure to solder on. Anyway, it is indeed a great sounding compressor and i'd recommend it to anyone needing some squish or sustain.

I was pretty pleased with how the artwork came out on these. Here is my original artwork for the compressor!

I thought it was amusing but decided against it and went for something a little more subtle!

I have a whole batch of madbean projects on the go too so it'll be back them next.
Having tried a couple of other distributers I must say that nothing is comparible with madbean when it comes to quality of pcbs, value for money, great pdf diagrams with clear labelling, and the bunch of helpful people around here.

nzCdog

Oh man!  Love those pedals dude... sooo tidy inside, and sick graphic work! :o
LOL please make another compressor with that Ross graphic!!! 8)

sgmezei

Oh man that is a cheesy photo hahaha. It would be awesome to see a pedal with that but I don't think I could look down at that every gig.

And your builds look great!

Haberdasher

Very nice graphics as usual!  Looks really good.

Tell me, if you built the comp over again would you still install the release switch?  Is it worth having?  I was thinking of leaving it off.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

marauder

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 19, 2012, 03:10:14 AM

Tell me, if you built the comp over again would you still install the release switch?  Is it worth having?  I was thinking of leaving it off.

I've got the release switch mod on my modded Ross, and its definately worthwhile.  With the compression max'd out, it very hard to play quickly without it.

Om_Audio

Is the wavform knob stepped to give all the wavforms on the graphic? This looks interesting but would be cool to have small wavform graphics around knob to select.
Very nice work!
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

Haberdasher

Quote from: marauder on February 19, 2012, 07:36:56 PM

I've got the release switch mod on my modded Ross, and its definately worthwhile.  With the compression max'd out, it very hard to play quickly without it.
Thanks, I just finished building the circuit this morning (with the switch) and hooked it up on the test rig.  The switch does seem useful, and this is definitely my favorite compressor now.  2nd place to this thing really isn't even close.  Wow.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

tagwap

I'm not sure about the release switch as I've only had a quick quiet test while my baby was asleep. I'll have more details after a full volume test.

All the waveforms are available on the knob. I would have preferred to put the graphic around the knob but it was too cluttered so I'll just put silver dots with a marker pen where they change. It's pretty clear without it anyway. It's a pretty amazing project for DIY. I'd say it's compatible to the cusack tap a whirl.

Helloimjohn1234

i just finished the tap tempo tremolo build as well. did you ever have issues with ticking? mine ticks no matter where i put the trim pots (even when i turn it off). Also, does yours have the amount of depth in the waveforms that you expected? mine seems to be a little weak.

great looking builds!!

tagwap

Quote from: Helloimjohn1234 on March 04, 2012, 07:30:43 PM
i just finished the tap tempo tremolo build as well. did you ever have issues with ticking? mine ticks no matter where i put the trim pots (even when i turn it off). Also, does yours have the amount of depth in the waveforms that you expected? mine seems to be a little weak.

great looking builds!!

Mine doesn't tick really. You can perhaps hear a slight ticking on the square wave with the depth to max but that's all. The documentation recommended that you purchase 2 x NSL-32 optocouplers as apparently some will tick no matter how you set the trimpots. I was just fortunate i guess! I do however have a spare as i ordered 2. I can't guarantee it would work but that's where i'd try first. If you'd like me to send it to you I could but it's quite an expensive component (approx £5) so i'd want to make sure it arrives safely. Are you based in the uk?

as for the depth, I did expect it to be a little deeper but for a DIY trem it is super versatile and very impressive in it's number of features. Overall i'm pretty pleased with mine.

raulduke

Really nice tremolo there mate.

I bought one of MusicPCB's tremolo PCB's and I'm kinda worried about the ticking people have been experieincing. I'm hoping it won't be too noticeable on my build.

Helloimjohn1234

That's what I figured, just thought I'd see if you had a different experience. They are pretty pricey but I've got a couple on order already (compared to the cost of an empress tremolo, I can afford a couple more optos!). Thanks for the offer though! I'm in the US

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 19, 2012, 09:01:31 PM
Quote from: marauder on February 19, 2012, 07:36:56 PM

Thanks, I just finished building the circuit this morning (with the switch) and hooked it up on the test rig.  The switch does seem useful, and this is definitely my favorite compressor now.  2nd place to this thing really isn't even close.  Wow.

Hey guys, can't view the pics at work, must be photobucket, but are you talking about Barry's Morc here I assume? I've got that board and would love to get it into my chain of builds. What does this switch do exactly?
John

tagwap

Yep, it's Barry's one. The switch kind of changes the speed at which the compression bites and then let's go i'd say. You'd need to build it with the switch unless your just playing mellow slow chords because you need the quicker attack that the switch gives you. (kind of like the switch on the EHX soul preacher if you watch a video review)

das234

Quote from: nzCdog on February 19, 2012, 12:36:39 AM
Oh man!  Love those pedals dude... sooo tidy inside, and sick graphic work! :o
LOL please make another compressor with that Ross graphic!!! 8)
I just started building my MoRC today and was thinking of graphics to use.  Naturally, the FRIENDS thing quickly came to mind but I'm not sure I'll follow through on it either.  Looks sharp though.