News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Speaker suggestions?

Started by timbo_93631, February 17, 2012, 09:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

I have finally done it.  I killed my 20 watt Weber Blue Pup Alnico with my 5 watt Supro 1616t.  I had this speaker in my amp originally, then went to the blue pup ceramic.  When I got my tele the ceramic was too bright so I sold it and put the alnico back.  But on wednesday at practice it started farting out after about an hour, I think I overheated the voice coil.  The coil in the speaker rubbed when I initially got this speaker from Weber, but I sent it back and they fixed it.  I wonder if they used the same coil, and all the dirt pedals and delay on top of a fairly cranked amp did it in?  Who knows...  Anyhow, I am thinking about switching to a new OT that has 4 and 8 ohm taps so I can run a 6V6 or 6L6 with an 4 ohm speaker, using the 8 ohm tap when running the 6L6 so the reflected impedance on the primary is right...  Magnetic Components is making a replacement OT for my model of Supro now, but the construction is similar to their Champ OT that has 4 and 8 ohm taps and the same mounting hole dimensons.  That really opens up the world of speakers I can use.  The stock Supro OT has a 3.2 ohm secondary so that meant custom built speakers from Weber, or lucking out on a 3.2 ohm Jensen on ebay. It could be either 10" or 12", I have baffles for both for the cab.  At church I have to be able to go from style to style quickly, so it has got to have good cleans with chimeyness and still not have a flubby bottom end when driven hard with dirt pedals.
I am thinking of (all ceramic):
12"
Weber Blue Dog
Weber Gray Wolf
Weber Legacy
Weber 1230-55
Warehouse ET65
10"
Weber Silver 10
Weber 10V
Weber Axis 10
Warehouse 10" Veteran
Warehouse G10C
Celestion G10N-40
You guys have any experience with any of these/what amps are you using them with?
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pryde

Hello,

I have a WGS ET65 and it is good when paired with something else but I would not recommend it alone. It just doesn't really sparkle IMO.

Have you considered anything from Eminence? I use the Wizard (Redcoat series) and it is a great speaker, very articulate with an awesome low end. It is 103 dbl though so it does not break up easily.

timbo_93631

I have tried some differend Eminence speakers, they are good, but seem kind of "dry" sounding to me.  I know alot of guys swear by the Wizard.  My Supro gets darker the more you crank it, something that a ceramic speaker that has pronounced upper mids and highs can help.  I lean towards Webers because I have bought alot of speakers from them and had many positive experiences.  I think the best speaker I have had from them is a 1230 I ran in my Marshall 18 watt before I sold it.  Pretty straightforward Greenback tone, but a little less brittle sounding.  I am really leaning towards the Gray Wolf at this point.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

sgmezei

FWIW, I have a 212 cab with an Alnico Bluedog and Ceramic Silver Bell

The Bluedog is awesome, I love it. Very Greenback-esque
The Silver bell is BRIGHT. I don't like using it on its own, but it sounds great with the Bluedog.

Just looking at the Weber site, the 1230 you mentioned is the one I have....... So I guess we Agree!!!

mjcyates

I have been really happy with the Eminence Texas Heat. I have not tried anything from Weber though I would like to at some point.

oldhousescott

I like the Emi Red Fang and Tonespotter speakers. Both have sparkle, but the RF is a bit more mid-centric and louder being more efficient.

timbo_93631

I pulled the trigger on a new OT that has 5k and 8k primaries and 4, 8, and 16 ohm secondaries that is rated for 15 watts as well as a 50 watt 8 ohm Gray Wolf.  I dig that G12H30 mids heavy sound and the Gray Wolf is supposed to be an even heavier high mids extension of that.  I am going to put the 8 ohm and 16 ohm taps on a switch (6L6/6V6) and cap off the 4 ohm lead.  I'll make a report when things are all sorted.  Gotta go clean the shop a bit now, safety first!
Sunday Handwound Pickups

sgmezei

Yeah man, I would love to hear how everything goes. Especially about that new speaker.

shawnee

I use a celestion G12H 30watt for a good, all around speaker. (it's the stock speaker in the MAZ18 which is a super versatile amp). It has some decent chime but has a sweet midrange and plenty of bass. I play mostly classic rock/blues and it works well. Another thing to consider is the sensitivity rating. Higher db will mean a louder speaker. The standard G12H30 is 100db which is pretty loud. You can up the volume of a small amp considerably but going up just a few db.

keysandguitars

Have you looked at any Scumback speakers? I've heard a lot of youtube demos and buzz about them on other forums. I'm looking at future speaker upgrades for a 4x12 cabinet I picked up. Check it out and see what you think: http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/clips/index.html The new demo Pete Thorn put out on a new line of speakers sounds pretty good. I like the M75 quite a bit as well.

Did you look at any celestions? I can get them at a discount, but haven't been able to demo any thus far. Keep us posted and let us know what you end up with.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

claytushaywood

I know this isnt in the ballpark, but a weber california (paper cap) mixed with a weber michigan (paper cap) in my 40 watt 2x12 silverface pro reverb has been amazing with pedals.  I can really hear the nuances and differences when modding parts in pedals.  I'm still honeymooning at the point where they just keep getting better, so I had to mention them.  You might like the fact that they're nearly impossible to kill!  on the completley opposite end of the spectrum i tried my buddies Weber DT series-(amazingly different than cali, mich) and I loved the way I could crank the amp up and every note was so forgiving and squashy.  Itd be cool to have two cabs and switch between those sets- itd be a much bigger effect than most all OD pedals!

timbo_93631

I got the amp all buttoned back up today, had to take eveything out of the chassis to drill for the slightly larger OT as well as the impedance switch.  Have it wired up for an 8 ohm speaker with 6V6 (5k relected primary load) and 6L6 (2.5k reflected primary load) by using the 8 ohm and 16 ohm taps on the OT.  The stock cathode resistor on my Supro is 330 ohm with no bypass cap, I put in a 500uF bypass cap, should make the 6L6 happy.  I also added a depth pot in the tremolo section of the amp, something I have been wanting to do for some time.  The tremolo is super intense in stock form, but subbing a 500kA pot for the 470k resistor that sets the depth was easy once I figured out I could squeeze it onto the control panel.  Today was the last day in the estimated delivery window specified by the seller on ebay for my Gray Wolf and still no new speaker.  Emailed them to make sure everything is ok.  Will update when all is sorted!
EDIT:  After much studying of the 6L6 datasheets it looks like I will have to drop the value of the cathode resistor to get the 6L6 biased right.  I am going to thave to ditch the impedance switch and operate on a 5k reflected load which is actually okay after looking at the datasheets.  I think I'll just reuse the switch to parallel a 620 ohm resistor with the 330 to get right in the ballpark.
EDIT AGAIN:
Rock Mumbles, a well known forum member at 18watt.com and wattkins.com amp forums set me straight on this.  Though the 6L6 will operate as I am describing above, it won't sound great unless I was using a PT with more V and mA.  At this point I am gonna just enjoy the extra headroom of the bigger OT, run a 6V6 and the G10C which is a pretty efficient speaker.  I have a chassis set aside that I am going to build a head based clone in and opt for a bigger PT from Magnetic Components which will allow operation with 6L6's, KT66's, and EL34's.  Should have it built by this summer if I can sock away enough cash here and there.  
Sunday Handwound Pickups

timbo_93631

Got the word from the ebay seller that the Gray Wolf never shipped, kind rough, but it frees up some extra pedal building dough.  I ordered a Warehouse G10C right now, I am gonna keep using the 10" baffle I had for the blue pup and call it good, I have always liked 10's...  Update when there is good news.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

etheridge

Peavey and Marshall speakers have always worked the best for me.  Though they are a little bit pricey compared to the lot of other options you could go for.  I have even looked at some Bose pieces and they sure sound great but would likely be better with other entertainment options.

There are even those home "grown" or rather made speakers that rank quite well on stress tests!

BRGPollen

The Musician's Theory of Relativity . . . . . E=Fb