News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mictester's Really Cheap Compressor, and a new to me labeling method.

Started by jimmybjj, February 13, 2012, 01:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

I built the board to this one a long time ago but just around to boxing it up. It is a very nice comp with LOTS of squish. There is a hint of grittyness (that i'm not digging) to it when used with my high output humbuckers, i'll be playing around with this one to see if i can dial it out.

Finish is DC Green powder coat. There are hints of yellow and gold in the finish depending on the angle your viewing the pedal. Lettering is done with a vinyl cutter used for cutting signs. The particular vinyl i am using (oracal 651) survives powder coat curing process pretty good. This pedal isn't cleared. I need to change the name :) i misspelled the circuit creators handle, sorry mictester :)

Pcbs no longer available

nzCdog

I love your lettering Jim... is there a tutorial  somewhere I could read?? I really want to try it on some of my builds :)

bigmufffuzzwizz

How do you make it look so clean and empty!!! hahaha
Another layout of yours we might see?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jimmybjj

Quote from: nzCdog on February 13, 2012, 05:44:27 AM
I love your lettering Jim... is there a tutorial  somewhere I could read?? I really want to try it on some of my builds :)

Thanks. Not that I am aware of. It's not complicated at all it just a matter of having access to a vinyl plotter or a sign shop that will do it for you. Basically all I did is design my graphic and sent it to the plotter. The design comes out of the plotter, apply some app tape and put it on the enclosure. Super easy and efficient. The compromise is graphic can't be super complicated.
Pcbs no longer available

jimmybjj

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on February 13, 2012, 04:33:16 PM
How do you make it look so clean and empty!!! hahaha
Another layout of yours we might see?

Thanks Magic. If there some interest I can release a layout. If you want a board I have a extra pm me your info and I'll drop one in the mail for you.
Pcbs no longer available

Diamond

Is this based on John Hollis' Flatline compressor? If so, you could try the VTL5C2 Vactrol unit instead of the LED/LDR. Sounds great in there!

The green colour looks great btw, and so do those knobs. Nice and clean wiring, looks like an excellent build!

jimmybjj

Thanks for the compliments. I should have linked the source of this pedal in my original thread. http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8581&start=120
I don't believe that this one is based on the flatline. A Vactrol would work with this circuit if you used another led in antiparallel with it, check the linked thread for details. The only caveat is, it would not longer be a "really cheap compressor" the Vactrol would cost more than the entire circuits components.
Pcbs no longer available

slimtriggers

I like the font.  That yellow lettering really pops against the green background. 

I think you can do this sort of thing with a Cricut machine, but I'm not completely sure.

jimmybjj

Quote from: slimtriggers on February 14, 2012, 02:01:11 AM
I like the font.  That yellow lettering really pops against the green background. 

I think you can do this sort of thing with a Cricut machine, but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks. The cricut does funtion similarly to a vinyl cutter if not the same. The disadvantage is you are limited to the particular cartridge that is in the machine, you have to buy additional cartridges to get certain shapes and fonts. There was a program available that opened up it possibilities but it is no longer available for the cricuit. I'm not sure if it is limited on the media it will accept.
Pcbs no longer available

timbo_93631

If you could use a cricut to make a vinyl enamel mask for PCB's that would be great!  Just stick it on, spray with enamel, peel the vinyl and etch away, it'd be good for etching enclosures too.  Can you do designs like that with a cricut?
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jimmybjj

Quote from: timbo_93631 on February 14, 2012, 08:03:00 AM
If you could use a cricut to make a vinyl enamel mask for PCB's that would be great!  Just stick it on, spray with enamel, peel the vinyl and etch away, it'd be good for etching enclosures too.  Can you do designs like that with a cricut?

Your idea would work if the graphic you wanted to etch was on one of their cartridges. As i understand it the program "SCAL" that allowed you to use your own graphic design is no longer available.
Pcbs no longer available

jimmybjj

VERIFIED layout. Made a etchable layout of this project. As soon as the layout is verified i will post in the members project section. Eagle doesn't show any errors. If anyone see's one let me know.

Layout here
Pcbs no longer available

midwayfair

Hey, cool. This one was on my build list to hear since I heard it was a lot more "effecty" than the Afterlife. I don't suppose you came up with a solution for the input distortion issue? Or is it really only an issue with really hot pickups?

jimmybjj

yes and yes. This particular schematic called for 2 caps in parallel for the input cap. I clipped one of them out and enough bass was taken out by reducing the value. Distortion only really occurred with powerful humbuckers (JB)
Pcbs no longer available

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer