News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

5. COSMOPOLITAN Skreddy Screwdriver

Started by Liustucru, February 12, 2012, 11:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

I was longing for this one for way too long !
And it sounds as good as I was expected.
I was in such a hurry that I didn't make any finish to the enclosure.
It is very difficult to find 125B enclosure in Europe so I placed an order at SmallBear. Great guys, very fast. Shipping costs are quite high when dealing with some enclosures but I NEEDED my Cosmopolitan (and also a 125BB enclosure for the dirtbag deluxe) and here it is:

Diamond

Nice and neat, I like it! And a great entrance to the forum, with seven finished build. Good job, sir!

Liustucru

Thank you.
It's been a long time since I wanted to make some posts. I started months ago.
The Cosmo and Mudbunny have been finished recently.
I've been inspired by lots of other build reports so here is my contribution.
Just hope it will help someone  ;)

Bret608

Hey, I like this! I am about to start building one of these and have a question about how to solder the board-mounted pots...did you use a "third hand" or something like that to be able to solder on the bottom of the board? If it was a double-sided board, I could imagine soldering on top while it's in the box. Let me know what technique worked for you!

Cheers,

Bret

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great job! Does this have board mounted pots? That's the same way Paul's is set up and I really liked that look..Your also choose the same knobs!  ;D

Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JakeFuzz

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on February 13, 2012, 04:54:34 PM
Great job! Does this have board mounted pots? That's the same way Paul's is set up and I really liked that look..Your also choose the same knobs!  ;D

Lol, yeah I noticed this too. Same knobs as well! That's a good compact layout. I like the finish on this enclosure; the un-sanded edges make a two tone border, very cool  8)

Liustucru

Thank you !
This is MADBEAN's Cosmopolitan board so it has board mounted pots.

Quote from: Bret608 on February 13, 2012, 03:36:05 PM
Hey, I like this! I am about to start building one of these and have a question about how to solder the board-mounted pots...did you use a "third hand" or something like that to be able to solder on the bottom of the board? If it was a double-sided board, I could imagine soldering on top while it's in the box. Let me know what technique worked for you!

Cheers,

Bret

Thank you too.
The board is single sided so you can't solder the pot on the components side.
You can see the board in my previous post before boxing it : http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3837.0

Actually it was quite tricky to box the board. I took a footprint of the pot shafts once soldered and drill larger holes in the enclosure to be sure the board can fit in easily.

I'm about to build the Current Lover and Double Flush and I think I'll mount the pots in the enclosure, then put the board and finally solder the pots thanks to the fabbed board.

Liustucru

Quote from: JakeFuzz on February 13, 2012, 04:57:35 PM

Lol, yeah I noticed this too. Same knobs as well! That's a good compact layout. I like the finish on this enclosure; the un-sanded edges make a two tone border, very cool  8)

Thank you.
Madbean's layout is very compact and you may know that Skreddy released recently a compact version of the deluxe Screwdriver with 5 knobs.
Concerning the enclosure, it is actually SmallBear's 125B unfinished enclosure. I think I'll add some labels for the controls and maybe a name for this beast !

Liustucru

Hey,
just some picts of my Cosmopolitan finally finished.
Hope you'll enjoy it as I do.

alanp

The outside looks like a polished jewel... inside is pretty flash too a!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtr2

Wow!  How did you do the letters?

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Liustucru

Quote from: alanp on April 07, 2012, 11:43:21 AM

Thank you. It's just a spray can I bought from a car store.

Quote from: gtr2 on April 07, 2012, 11:48:04 AM

Josh

The font is engraved into the enclosure as for my Sunking : http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3839.msg34172#msg34172
I work in an Aerospace research laboratory and we have an old engraver which was used to make office labels.
But this time the enclosure from SmallBear was not hard enough I think, and the engraver went too deep inside the enclosure.

pickdropper

Quote from: Liustucru on April 07, 2012, 12:41:06 PM
Quote from: alanp on April 07, 2012, 11:43:21 AM

Thank you. It's just a spray can I bought from a car store.

Quote from: gtr2 on April 07, 2012, 11:48:04 AM

Josh

The font is engraved into the enclosure as for my Sunking : http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3839.msg34172#msg34172
I work in an Aerospace research laboratory and we have an old engraver which was used to make office labels.
But this time the enclosure from SmallBear was not hard enough I think, and the engraver went too deep inside the enclosure.

That looks great.

I actually own one of those old engravers, but I don't have a good place for it so it is just sitting in the shop at work.  That might inspire me to dig it out.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rlopes

Hello.
Another great build. I just want to tell you that you can find 125B enclosures in Europe from musikding.de. That way you might save a few € instead of ordering them from the USA. 

2tonewarrior

Quote from: Liustucru on February 12, 2012, 11:38:12 AM
I was in such a hurry that I didn't make any finish to the enclosure.
It is very difficult to find 125B enclosure in Europe so I placed an order at SmallBear. Great guys, very fast.

Quote from: rlopes on April 09, 2012, 01:41:35 PM
Hello.
Another great build. I just want to tell you that you can find 125B enclosures in Europe from musikding.de. That way you might save a few € instead of ordering them from the USA.  

Banzai have it, here in Europe

BTW great build! Love that pedal and love the knobs like the original, I had to buy some cheap platic knobs (too expensive :'()