News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy MN3005 - power options

Started by Chi_Boy, February 02, 2012, 04:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chi_Boy

For an MN3005 Aquaboy is there a preferred power scheme?

From the build doc I see 3 options.

1) 18v wall wart, 15v regulator at R19.
  2) Road Rage @ 18v, 15v regulator at R19, or
  3) Road Rage @ 15v, 22R at R19.

I prefer #3, and don't like #1.  Any advantage to #2?  Anyone tried?

gtr2

I power mine at 18V and regulate the mn3005 at r19 with a 15v regulator.  It works really well this way and I feel that I get a little better delay with the compander working at 18V.  You can use a road rage for the 18V but you should use the LT1054 charge pump.

Either way you can't lose though :)

Josh

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Chi_Boy

Josh,

Option 2 worked great.  Thanks for the help!!

Cheers,
George

TNblueshawk

If building the 3005 version, can this not be run on 9v? I know there would be more headroom with higher voltage but I guess my question is, will 9v not get it done the way it needs to be done? I do plan to add the DD and MOD boards to it as well.

I ask because I'm building this version soon and didn't consider going beyond this voltage....but I am now I guess  :-\
John

maysink

Hey, TN. 9v is no problemo but the 3005 comes alive with higher voltage (but no higher than 15V!). Much like the mn3007 for chorus/flanger builds...
[nothing to see here]
-e

gtr2

Yeah, you're pretty much wasting the advantage of using a MN3005 by only running it at 9v. IMO  ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Chi_Boy

The Roadrage makes it pretty easy too.  As long as you can find a place to hide it in the box it's a great option.

madbean

Quote from: Chi_Boy on February 11, 2012, 02:57:39 PM
The Roadrage makes it pretty easy too.  As long as you can find a place to hide it in the box it's a great option.

If you use low profile components you should be able to tuck it underneath the main PCB somewhere.

I tend to use 3M foam tape and put my RR's on the sidewalls, though.

Chi_Boy

I made mine with regular 11mm tall caps but stretched the leads a little and laid them flat on the board.  Also soldered the chip without a socket to made it as flat as possible.  Looks more like Road Kill than Road Rage.   ;)

TNblueshawk

Ok, thanks gang. I think I will have room as I'm putting into a 1590BB Tall. I guess I'll order up a RR Monday... or two.
John

TNblueshawk

Quote from: gtr2 on February 02, 2012, 01:30:50 PM
I power mine at 18V and regulate the mn3005 at r19 with a 15v regulator.  It works really well this way and I feel that I get a little better delay with the compander working at 18V.  You can use a road rage for the 18V but you should use the LT1054 charge pump.

Hey Josh, I may be a tad confused so let me restate here if I can.

1. For the LT1054, use this on the Road Rage at IC1 on the PCB instead of the TC1044SCPA?
2. Since I want to run at 18v only populate the first layout on the Road Rage build docs right?
3. Finally, I'm not sure when you say you are regulating it at 15v at R19. What are you putting exactly into R19 and or can you explain the hook up here?

Thanks. I'm trying to get my mind around this in advance before I dive in. I've read and re-read all the docs on this build, not to mention any threads I could locate, but I'm still a little unsure about myself here.
John

madbean

R19 is where the VDD voltage splits off from the main supply voltage. This is the voltage that supplies the BBD. So, what he is saying is that he's used a 15v regulator off an 18v supply and then wired that in place of R19 to supply the BBD with 15v. Then the rest of the circuit is run at 18v (it seems). It gives you pretty much the best of everything.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

Where does one find said 15v regulator? Part name?

I think this is what is confusing to my obtuse brain.

Edit: here is what I'm not getting. R19 is a 2 pin resistor. Am I putting another 2 pin component in there, which I can't think of, or am I using that ground pad next to it and using some kind of transistor?

John

madbean

If using an 18v DC supply, use a T220 type 15v regulator
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/LM7815CT/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtzPgOfznR9QbROdQku1Isa

The purpose of R19 is to create a slight "wall" between the two different power sections. One power section, VDD, is for the BBD and clock. The other power section is for everything else. The wall allows each section a limited amount of separation from one another to isolate them and thus reduce the chances of unwanted noise.

In this case, the "wall" is actually going to be the 18v and regulated 15v supplies, instead of a resistor. So, you remove the resistor and connect the 15v to the pin pad of R19 that connects to the VDD supply portion of the circuit. The other pin of the resistor is connected to the 18v supply automatically through the PCB, and is left empty because the 18v supply is already going to be connected to the "9v" pad.