News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My first build: Macheen (completed!, modifying, repaired!)

Started by Om_Audio, January 31, 2012, 08:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Om_Audio

So I have finally started my build after having the parts for many many moons.
My observations thus far:
1- parts id- I have found all the unmarked parts that SmallBear shipped me a bit of a challenge to id. On one hand I think they could just mark the baggies (all were unmarked), on the other hand I love learning new things and have been enjoying figuring things out.
- resistors- ended up just using my DMM and the DMM manual to read the values- I don't get the stripes even after reading and even using online sources. :)
- diodes- had to use a magnifier and the web to id and guess which were which. Frustrating a bit.
- caps- interesting as the 100uf seemed to give diff readings- like you have to really drain/test them to get accurate result.

Next was the PCB- a real pleasure to solder the parts on and by far the easiest/most fun. I found much good advice on www.guitarpcb.com (crash course and tips sections). I need a bigger magnifier and a better way to hold/manipulate the PCB but I did a good job and setting my iron to 20W not 40W was a great tip as well.

Tonight I began to drill the enclosure and work out the layout.
1- a 1590 enclosure is not a lot of real estate to work with! Planning is important and not my strong point- but so far i am happy with how it is going- although I think getting a battery in there would be near impossible and ok as I don't use em myself.
2- drill bits- I need bigger ones. Will def want the exact drill bit sizes for the diff size parts next time. and a better way to secure the enclosure while drilling- I'm not even going to say what my methods were.
The knobs thus far seem like they will be from left to right: Gain/Limit/Vol/Trim
Anyway- having a great time and just going to keep putting it all together- no testing first- I'm too impatient and impulsive. :)
Also the original thread I was on before is here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5.msg11617#msg11617
Thanks for reading and your comments are appreciated!

Above pic shows switch turned 90 degrees and I wired it that way- wrong way! :0

Working! Cramped and messy but making a joyful racket.

At some point after I added footswitch add on board (above pic) it stopped working- I think it worked fine but after I boxed it it stopped- there was pressure on blue caps from lid also. (Turns out I tightened the jacks and pots and apparently rotated the input jack until it grounded to chassis and caused the problem)

Above pic shows current status as of 2/20/12- no audio passing- see post from today later in this thread for deets. Removed switch board and rewired.
Sent via soup cans and string.

nzCdog

Very nice... be good to see it fired in anger soon!

Quote from: Om_Audio on January 31, 2012, 08:50:15 AM
2- drill bits- I need bigger ones. Will def want the exact drill bit sizes for the diff size parts next time. and a better way to secure the enclosure while drilling- I'm not even going to say what my methods were.

I got some 'step-bits'...  have a hunt at the hardware store, sometimes called 'unibit' they're great for drilling enclosures and all the sizes you need are on the chuck at the same time.  I also recommend getting a bench vice to hold it when your drilling, and punch with a nail or screw, then pilot drill all the holes with a small bit prior to sending in the big guns.  Makes for a much more accurate result.  I still use a powered hand drill and pull off the enclosure drilling ok... :)

JakeFuzz

Looking good man! Glad to hear you are finishing this one up. Love those huge knobs! I've build a few pedals with those, they are enormous. I forgot PPP sold actual Hammond enclosures, those things are heavy duty.

Om_Audio

Thanks guys! Yes- the anger will flow- the amps will glow- the gods will cower!!
Will be getting drill bits today- have to have one for the DC jack.
I just updated the pics to show how lucky I have been with placement so far- just eyeballing it and doing a little x/y marking to estimate placement- look at that foot switch- not sure I could get a piece of paper in there between it and the enclosure wall! ;) Need a black washer too white looks funky to me. Also the i/o jacks might have some metal to enclosure contact I will have to sort out- if I had to choose would I want sleeve/housing contact? (assuming sleeve is ground)? Yes I know no contact is desired but I like to live ignorantly, er I mean dangerously!! :)
C

PS- I got 2 large pots for trim- a 1K and 2K. I think 5k was suggested- will any pot give me full range sweep but diff fine tuning? How do I explain- like are they all covering total range but have diff sized "gears"?

Om_Audio

Ok- first try didn't work which means I will certainly learn some new things very soon. :)

Some observations:

1- holding the wires/iron/PCB/parts/solder wire in place is a f*****g challenge!!! Please, some advice needed. I have forceps and the like but I am really bad at doing the wiring thus far.
2- First try the LED lit up but also lit/unlit when I pulled the cable from my guitar. Doh! Also, no sound.

Also, I noticed only later the diagram shows the foot switch with some a/b/c and 1/3 markings. I could find no unique identifiers on the switch and somehow had it in my head that it didn't matter. Ignorance is bliss.

I updated the pics above but there is not much to see but my rushed and very poor wiring soldering skills. Also seems you need a lot more heat (40W instead of 20W) to solder the 1/4" jacks.

-Any advice on holding everything and making the soldering of wiring easier appreciated.
-Also info on switch orientation appreciated- at this point after having gone over the wiring is the main culprit I have as to why things are not working.
Thanks-
C

marmaliser

I think your footswitch is all wrong.  It should be turned 90 degrees for that wiring diagram

Om_Audio

Hello- thanks- how can you tell? I want to learn and there are many spots like this which are not really explained. Only thing I just noticed was at center of diagram there is a line- does that indicate which way the blades on the switch should be oriented? In any event I hope I didn't fry anything if i did wire up the switch with 90 degrees of bad mojo.  :-\
Quote from: marmaliser on February 01, 2012, 11:22:58 AM
I think your footswitch is all wrong.  It should be turned 90 degrees for that wiring diagram

sam_c

the footswitch should be installed with the holes in the lugs aligned top to bottom, not left to right like you have it in your picture.

kind of like this...

_ _ _
_ _ _
_ _ _

and not like this...

l   l   l
l   l   l
l   l   l

jkokura

You can install it that way, you just have to make sure you wire it correctly!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Om_Audio

Thanks very much. How did you guys learn this? I have seen other build sheets with a + sign in the center of the switch so from what I can tell there is no indication on the switch or build sheet to indicate this. How did you all figure it out the first time?
Also, I assume it does not matter if you wire it 180degrees in reverse? In other words as long as you orient or wire the switch looking at the blades horizontally not vertically you could do it either way?
C

marmaliser

Yep 180 out doesn't matter
I learnt by doing it wrong :o and finding the answer on a forum somewhere

sam_c

Quote from: marmaliser on February 01, 2012, 07:46:06 PM
I learnt by doing it wrong :o and finding the answer on a forum somewhere

same here.   

I have spent a few evenings reading through all the 'tech help' topics on here.  Its worth doing even if its for projects you have no interest in building at all as you will learn something from each topic.  Id bet the footswitch orientation issue shows up in there somewhere more than once. 

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Om_Audio on February 01, 2012, 07:32:52 PM
Thanks very much. How did you guys learn this? I have seen other build sheets with a + sign in the center of the switch so from what I can tell there is no indication on the switch or build sheet to indicate this. How did you all figure it out the first time?
Also, I assume it does not matter if you wire it 180degrees in reverse? In other words as long as you orient or wire the switch looking at the blades horizontally not vertically you could do it either way?
C

Ya it appears you did wire the switch the wrong way..It wouldn't work like that because the wipers aren't connecting what you want which is what the diagram shows..they still move the way they are designed to despite how you actually wired it. Kinda hard to explain, easy to show with a diagram...
I see you live in Venice, whereabouts are you? I live right off of Abott Kinney and Palms..your more than welcome to come by, I can give you some tips and pointers.. :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Om_Audio

Heck ya man, I'd love that! I'm off AK myself over by the French Market. You know JakeFuzz is the guy who got me into this- is incredibly helpful and supportive- and lives in LA too. I bought an expertly built Zombii from him and it got my gears turning. You guys are awesome. Will pm you for contact info.
:)

As for the switch issue- I guess I am digging for how people learn this sort of thing or "know" it. i mean at some point I guess someone is looking at a diagram of the switch on how it works or something. it is like basically there is a body of tacit-like knowledge in this community and I am curious where it came from originally- like did people learn it in school, from manuals, from jobs/training?

Clifford

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Om_Audio on February 01, 2012, 11:28:58 PM
Heck ya man, I'd love that! I'm off AK myself over by the French Market. You know JakeFuzz is the guy who got me into this- is incredibly helpful and supportive- and lives in LA too. I bought an expertly built Zombii from him and it got my gears turning. You guys are awesome. Will pm you for contact info.
:)

Oh yea that's so close, I pass by everyday. Paul is a great guy, lots of information and a good builder!! I can understand why he doesn't build for others anymore. Still want a pedal board from him or at least show me how to build one!! This pedal train is killing my back...... >:( >:( >:(

Quote from: Om_Audio on February 01, 2012, 11:28:58 PM
As for the switch issue- I guess I am digging for how people learn this sort of thing or "know" it. i mean at some point I guess someone is looking at a diagram of the switch on how it works or something. it is like basically there is a body of tacit-like knowledge in this community and I am curious where it came from originally- like did people learn it in school, from manuals, from jobs/training?

Clifford

The biggest point I can urge is to pay close attention to detail..In parts placement, soldering, layout, orientation of pieces, wiring at least until your more familiar with the process. If you learned how the switch worked you'd know why we wire it the way we do but you don't have to even know that much, just follow instructions..I like to think of it as a slightly more complicated coloring book. I feel like Jacob constantly repeats to check the steps, if they were done correctly it would work and that's the truth. Luckily there's so much help to go around here  :)

There is people from all sorts of electronic backgrounds on these forum boards, but the part I like is some of the top guys aren't EE's, just people really into it. Individuals who seemed to have such a passion for it (call it addiction ;) ) teaching themselves and designing very use-able circuits for our needs. With some dedication you can learn a lot from online electronics courses, but it involves a lot of math..
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals