News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PN3565 same as 2N3565?

Started by kinski, January 30, 2012, 07:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinski

Seems mouser only has something called PN3565? Can I use this in the weener wah, in place of the 2N3565?

stecykmi

they appear to be the same, googling "2n3565" brings up datasheets for pn3565.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Nice find! Tell us if it works good as a substitute!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Draxxyl

The PN3565 is a 2N3565 in a Plastic TO92 package.
It's not a substitute......it's the real thing!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Interesting. I meant more of an working alternative to MB suggestion..
Futurlec has both of them in a TO92 package (at least that's what it says) but the 2N is priced at $3.20 and the PN is 10 cents.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Effectsiation

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I found this on a different website (http://www.oocities.org/sunsetstrip/underground/8475/diy_efx.html) related to this topic:

"You may not find 2N3565 transistors (however, there are PN3565, but they do not work).  You can use 2N5088 or 2N5089 instead." - This was in relation to the Foxx Tone Machine.

I imagine it's all about gain ranges, I have both 2N3565 and PN3565 at home, and I'll measure a few with my DCA-55. If I get time I'll also test both in the WW circuit.  I would just compare datasheets, but I can't actually find one for the 2N3565, I can only find the PN3565.

DutchMF

Tayda sells the PN version as well. I know, because I accidentally ordered them when parts sourcing for my Weener  ;D Didn't try them out as of yet, but when I realised my mistake, I did some research an I remember reading that the PN is a beefed up, higher gain version of the 2N.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

pk1802

A couple years ago, I accidentally bought 100 PN5133's on ebay for a couple bucks, I guess my brain didn't recognize the PN. From what I remember reading about them then PN is the same as 2N, but in a plastic case.

Peteyboy

Was wondering the EXACT same thing today while placing my order with Tayda.