News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Angry Martian - Green Bean build

Started by eldanko, January 24, 2012, 12:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

This is number 3 for me this week... finally have time to wire stuff!  Yay!

First off, I love TubeScreamers... and this one blows my old Keeley one outta the water.  It's quieter, more versatile... build it.  Details:

- moved the switches to the outside because I didn't want anything else to clutter up the graphic.
- used an on-off-on switch to get the "no diode" sound, which actually is pretty neat
- this thing is dead quiet, even with the gain dimed.
- I did some taste-testing before settling on the diodes.  1n270s weren't giving me enough gain/output.  Tried BAT46s and loved 'em - really great for edge-of-breakup sort of sounds.  Tried some LM313Hs that I had left over from my Sunking build, and they were pretty neat... then came the 1n60s EDIT: Just realized that they are actually NTE5019A's.  Immediately after plugging them in, my wife yelled "THOSE" from the kitchen.  They're crazy ballsy... they don't compress as much as the BAT41/46s, and have a thicker midrange about them, if that's even possible.  Unbelievable for lead playing.  TONS of gain on tap as well.

So, I've got BAT46s in the asymmetrical slots and the 1n60s in the symmetrical.  Killer combination, gives me LOTS of different sounds in this pedal.

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

gtr2

This is one of my favorites of your collection!  Well until the dirtbag is unveiled  ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

nzCdog

Great graphics, eldanko... as usual!
Your pedals always looks so vibrant... nice job

mjcyates

Ettore_M

:o ... Great job, eldanko!   ;) I love all your builds, but this one is just AWESOME!  ;D
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

slimtriggers

That's great!  You're lucky your wife has an ear for picking diodes.  Mine just tells me to turn it down :)

plesur

Really cool looking pedal. Fantastic graphic.

There is something about that TS sound makes you keep coming back to it.

For the diodes did you use 1N60P or plain ol' 1N60?

thetrend77

Quote from: slimtriggers on January 24, 2012, 09:32:23 AM
That's great!  You're lucky your wife has an ear for picking diodes.  Mine just tells me to turn it down :)

Ditto lol

eldanko

Hahaha - yeah, my wife is actually a player as well... she has a pedalboard comprised of all purple pedals... Dimension C, Budda Wah, some home builds.  It's fun :)

Regarding the diodes... I just dug into my past orders from Newark, and these might not have been 1n60s after all... I had labeled them as such when I received them, but looking at my order it looks like they're actually a 10v zener - I'll have to check when I get home for sure, but the number I'm seeing here is NTE5019A.  Sorry to be misleading initially... but they sound GREAT.

crashguitar

Looks great. I am finding that I love TS's as well. This is going in my to build list. Thanks for sharing teh diode info.
Out of curiosity and because I can't read them in the picture, what IC did you use?

eldanko

Thanks man!  IC is an OPA2604.  Tasty.

plesur

That's interesting about the diodes, I've been doing a reverse engineer of a 'boutique' pedal and it had 15V zener diodes as the clippers. That's was the first time I've seen zener diodes used for that, until your post.

eldanko

Just double checked, and they are indeed NTE5019A diodes.  I think I had them labeled 1n60 because these are what popped up when I searched for "1n60" on Newark, so I just figured they were a compatible part.  Either way, they're beefy and great.