News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tonebender?

Started by shawnee, January 21, 2012, 05:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnee

LOL, I love coffee.

Yeah I could be way off but the 1973 live Page tone sounds like a les paul through a Rangemaster into a cranked Marshall to me. Just a hint of germanium squish in there...........

I am really on a quest to capture certain classic dirty sounds: Marshall (my modded boneyard nails it), Fender Tweed ala Keith Richards (La Vache works well), Billy Gibbons (Cosmopolitan through an almost clean Marshall), and now it's on to Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Johnson.

Bret608

I don't think you're far off at all, actually! I think that boost circuit he allegedly had built into his Marshalls (the Echoplex one) wasn't germanium based, but Page, Blackmore and others do seem to have thought of these tape delay preamps as a variant of the treble booster theme.

Hey, I notice Madbean's Fat Pants boost is based on this kind of circuit. I wonder if that would get you in the ballpark? I'm sure a Rangemaster wouldn't disappoint either.

I'm glad to hear your Cosmopolitan gets you in Billy Gibbons territory--I'm gearing up to build mine and would love if it could do that for me!

Hey, I thought of another reputable builder chasing those '73-era live Page tones in addition to Lumpy's Tone Shop. Earthquaker Device's Chrysalis is a transistor-based OD going for those sounds. Looks to be SI transistor-based from the gut shots I saw...

Cheers,

Bret

shawnee

I built the fatpants but havn't played with it lately. I'll A/B it with the Rangemaster.
Yeah a slightly overdriven Marshall type amp with the Cosmo is sick! ZZ Top for days!
Lots of cool pedals out there these days. There are some great youtube vids on the Lumpy's fuzz boxes.

cjkbug

here's a great demo j. santiago did on how to get eric johnson's sound with 3 different gear setups. the first 2 sound really close the 3rd...not so much. It really helped me with getting that tone. it's his ah via musicom era tone,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtI5UWAQXLg
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

shawnee

Yeah that's a great EJ tone vid.
I got the Retro channel Fuzz in. It sounds good but I wasn't knocked out by it. It's fairly bright and a little splatty. Decent midrange but no very round on the bottom. My Cosmopolitan build just kills it since there is so much control.

juansolo

Quote from: shawnee on March 04, 2012, 04:59:22 AM
Yeah that's a great EJ tone vid.
I got the Retro channel Fuzz in. It sounds good but I wasn't knocked out by it. It's fairly bright and a little splatty. Decent midrange but no very round on the bottom. My Cosmopolitan build just kills it since there is so much control.

Build a Hot Silicon and experiment with different trannies in it. Stick a SHO on the end of it to thicken it. It's really very good and certainly worth a build.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

shawnee

Thanks Juansolo. I'll check into that.