News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Career change

Started by nzCdog, January 20, 2012, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

Well I finally stumped up the guts to resign my old job...  I've been accepted for an electronics course in 2012!  Woo!  ;D

(Erm... hope the kids don't mind saveloys and rice for the next year or three) :P

eldanko

Congrats man!  I love hearing people do stuff like this... encouragement for me to do the same... well, not with electronics, as you guys are frickin ninjas.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

pietro_moog

cool man. i 'd like to do that in my future too. i'd love to enroll on a PhD, but not now, now i wanna work and make as much money as i can, i wanna buy an house and start a family. it would be very nice if i could do it, maybe 10 years from now. we'll see.

good luck and good grades !

nzCdog

Thanks guys...

Its a one year course which I can extend a further two years if I want to turn it into an electronics engineering degree.  I've been in my job 11 years and started to get sick of it after year two... lol!  Kept at it, but now its time for a change and my family is behind me!  Pedal building has been a great hook into the world of electronics, I'm looking forward to being a student again :)

stecykmi

interesting! i went back to school to pursue a technical education myself, although I was only out of high school for a few years. Best of luck!

plesur

Best of luck!  ;)

I went back to University after quite a few years away from learning and really enjoyed it; much more than I ever did as a teenager. I know you will too.

To paraphrase an old song, you've got to have a dream to have a dream come true!

jimmybjj

Good for you and the best of luck! I wish i could do the same, maybe one day.
Pcbs no longer available

timbo_93631

Good on you mate!  I have gone back to school, 4 semesters in now.  I am on my way to becoming a high school Math teacher.  Stick to it!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

nzCdog

Thanks guys... its still pretty scary at this stage, its nice to hear other peeps have a go at change too :)

TNblueshawk

Good luck man. It's been about 15 years now since I finished my MBA while working. Very tough honestly but I would have never done it unless I was much younger. Do it while you are young!
John

bigmufffuzzwizz

That's very good for you. I did a 2 year EE program at a community college. It was really fun, learned so much. Still need to finish those General Ed classes so I can get the actual AA degree.
Are you at a university or smaller school? I know if I follow this further to get a BA at university its gonna be much more intensive, lots of MATH.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

Thanks guys!  BMFW its a smaller school,  there's a bit  of an EE skill shortage in NZ, so the government fully funds the course... which means no fees! :)  The tutor was in the British Navy for 20 something years and is a really nice guy... I'm hoping the maths don't kill me, I could always do it in school, but with only with some fair concentration! ;)

timbo_93631

I think there are some forum members that are superb Mathletes here, if you get stuck one of us should be able to help!  Again, best of luck!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: nzCdog on January 23, 2012, 05:32:04 AM
Thanks guys!  BMFW its a smaller school,  there's a bit  of an EE skill shortage in NZ, so the government fully funds the course... which means no fees! :)  The tutor was in the British Navy for 20 something years and is a really nice guy... I'm hoping the maths don't kill me, I could always do it in school, but with only with some fair concentration! ;)

Sounds like a fun time! DC/AC Theory and calculations is not to bad with a little concentration like you said. If you've done any type of calculus class you'll be fine, cause I never did. Finding a good teacher can be a big part of it especially if your having trouble grasping the concepts on your own. A few of my teachers had heavy accents, they would talk fast and had trouble explaining things other than the one way they understood it, those classes being the most difficult. The class that was the most difficult for me was AC Theory (phase angles, sinusoidal voltage, tan, sin, finding capacitive inductance, capacitive reactance). Not meant to be a discouragement, it's a good challenge!  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Jargo

Quote from: nzCdog on January 20, 2012, 08:30:19 PM
Well I finally stumped up the guts to resign my old job...  I've been accepted for an electronics course in 2012!  Woo!  ;D

(Erm... hope the kids don't mind saveloys and rice for the next year or three) :P

Check this link out - you may have heard about it, but MIT (yes, Massachussett's Institute of Technology) has a large number of their courses listed for free free with all materials but no certification (soon they will offer this as well)    load of really intense and useful info - much of it is very fresh and new concepts

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/

good luck!!!