News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Have any of you measured NKT275s from AM Sunface?

Started by sockeye, January 19, 2012, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sockeye

Hi all,

I have to say, this is an awfully good sounding FF. I had one that I sold and am wishing I had taken some measurements before I sold it.

My question is: has anyone on here taken measurements of Q1 and Q2 from an AM Sunface? Best of all would be if you have gain and leakage measurements from an Atlas DCA. I have a lot of Ge PNPs in appropriate gain ranges, but before I audition them all on the breadboard, I'd like to pull some that measure close to the NKT275s that Mike uses.

thanks in advance,

John

raulduke

I think the general rule of Q1 = 70-100 hfe and Q2 = 90-130 and leakage less than 300uA is probably what he goes for, like most other people. Only difference he has is that he has a big stock of NKT275's.

NKT275's are incredibly rare, and the ones that are for found on the internetz for sale could well be fakes.

The best bet for good tone with Germs and Fuzz Faces is to just go through the stash you have and find what you like. The transistor name/model doesn't matter as much as the hfe and leakage IMO.

If you need to buy your best bet is to buy a set from Small Bear, or put an add over at Stompboxes.co.uk saying you are looking for a matched set to use in a Fuzz Face. Someone will probably hook you up for a reasonable cost.

jkokura

I have a Hartman fuzz with some Red Dot NKT275's and I love it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sockeye

Thanks raulduke, I have tons of transistors but most fuzz faces that I've built & heard don't quite get teh Sunface sound. I did run the (socketed) NKT275s from my SF in one of my builds and it sounded identical to the SF. So I am just trying to get measurements so I can see if I can find some in my stash that are close & then audition them. Stupidly, I didn't measure mine while I had the pedal. I have several big batches of NOS PNP Ges that measure gains in the right ranges -- I have a feeling the NKTs Mike uses are leakier than let's say the TIs or RCAs I have.

Scruffie

I think some people on FSB measured them and they were quite low hFe.
Works at Lectric-FX