News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The wild addiction of pedal building

Started by pickdropper, January 15, 2012, 08:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I am new around these parts, but it has been fun reading all of the posts here.

I built my first pedal in the middle of Dec.2011 and now have finished and boxed 7 pedals.  I started building to fill some pedal needs I had, but it has clearly gotten to the point that I just like building them.

Very very addictive and fun.

None of the seven were madbean, but I have over 15 mb boards waiting for me now.  Just starting the Pork Barrel and Current Lover, my first madbean builds.  Maybe this time I'll even take photos.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

lol.  You got bit bad huh?
There's no known cure  ;D

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

Thanks guys.  It's been a lot of fun so far.
Function f(x)

GermanCdn

I am always glad to see someone else has the same addiction, lol.  Last parts for my next 18 pedal build arrived today.  Maybe we should start a support group or something.  Except the likely outcome would just be more builds, not less.  To summarize a line from a movie I don't remember anymore "It's not a problem if I'm OK with it."
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

Asking for help here is like asking for telling your local bartender you have a drinking problem...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

timbo_93631

You can try to channel the pedal building addiction into other guitar-centric realms, but you can only afford to build so many amps and guitars.  Eventually you gotta get back to that cheap and nasty fix of building just one more fuzz, delay, dirt, etc...  A happy addiction, the consequence is great tone! 
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

TNblueshawk

What's even more fun, if you are married, is trying to explain to your wife why you have 20 pedals in your music room you built and have 20 more PCB's and counting wanting to join them. Toss in you are just a bedroom hacker and I've yet to come up with a good explanation for her. I did tell her there are worse habits and addictions than wanting to stay at home and build pedals; most of which involves drinking and crazy shit  :o She did agree on this point, albeit she still doesn't understand. Should have seen her face when I ordered a Champ kit (BYOC inspired) and she said "but you have an amp downstairs"  :P
John

timbo_93631

My wife is pretty understanding as long as I don't stay up too late to "work in the shop".  It also helps that I sell stuff like components, speakers, wahs, and rangemaster clones on eBay to fund my builds to it doesn't take away from our real world earnings and on occasion it gives us extra $.   
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

ckim715

It all goes downhill. I started off building a simple boost. A year later, I'm thinking about building an amp. Next year? Tony Stark's arc reactor.  8)
-Charlie

TNblueshawk

Quote from: timbo_93631 on January 16, 2012, 09:05:51 PM
My wife is pretty understanding as long as I don't stay up too late to "work in the shop".  It also helps that I sell stuff like components, speakers, wahs, and rangemaster clones on eBay to fund my builds to it doesn't take away from our real world earnings and on occasion it gives us extra $.   

Yeah, I don't sell anything I build. No doubt that would help. But it's like selling one's kids....I just can't do it  ::)
John

lloyd17

When I started doing this the plan was dirt dirt dirt. Cheap, easy and can be moved when the collection grows too large. Fat chance, its all delay and modulation delay and modulation. One things for certain: my queue only grows.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Your gonna fit in just fine! I always make sure I have 20 projects lined up and then I get side tracked and build other stuff. Finally bought my first amp kit, waiting for it to arrive. See the doors are opening!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on January 20, 2012, 12:30:38 AM
Your gonna fit in just fine! I always make sure I have 20 projects lined up and then I get side tracked and build other stuff. Finally bought my first amp kit, waiting for it to arrive. See the doors are opening!

Yeah, I see an amp somewhere along the way.  I'd really like to build an 18 watt Marshall at some point.

I also have a few headphone amps that need finishing.

Kind of in a lull right now.  Waiting for parts orders.

Function f(x)

jimmybjj

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on January 20, 2012, 12:30:38 AM

Cool Magic, what kit did you go with?
Pcbs no longer available