News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The wild addiction of pedal building

Started by pickdropper, January 15, 2012, 08:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

in these diy years i build
-2 amps (a vibrochamp, and a 18w jcm800 od channel + ef86 based clean)
-a reverb unit based on a hybrid fender/ampeg/6bm8 design, very cool
-10 pedals, they'll be 14 in a few months, i don't have too much time right now
-a guitar (jazz master with humbucker at the bridge, very nice, painted by myself)

diy is fun
i don't think it's THAT addictive,now i'm at the point where i don't know what to build next.
i don't think i need anything more..

however my rule of thumb is: build just what you use, and recycle what you don't use anymore. don't waste resources.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jimmybjj on January 20, 2012, 12:39:53 AM
Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on January 20, 2012, 12:30:38 AM
Your gonna fit in just fine! I always make sure I have 20 projects lined up and then I get side tracked and build other stuff. Finally bought my first amp kit, waiting for it to arrive. See the doors are opening!

Cool Magic, what kit did you go with?

After doing a bit of research (probably not quite near enough) I went with a Weber 5F1 kit, basic tweed. The part that made it most worth it to me was the inclusion of a cabinet all for about $450. I'm hoping my options open after I build this one and I can start DIYing like I do with pedals. I'm love to get all over the Ceriatone site, champ heads, jtm45/100 and superleads..
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

I'm about to pull the trigger on a trinity 18W...  uggghhhh GAS!
http://trinityamps.com/Product_Parts.htm

jimmybjj

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on January 20, 2012, 12:53:30 AM
Quote from: jimmybjj on January 20, 2012, 12:39:53 AM
Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on January 20, 2012, 12:30:38 AM
Your gonna fit in just fine! I always make sure I have 20 projects lined up and then I get side tracked and build other stuff. Finally bought my first amp kit, waiting for it to arrive. See the doors are opening!

Cool Magic, what kit did you go with?
O
After doing a bit of research (probably not quite near enough) I went with a Weber 5F1 kit, basic tweed. The part that made it most worth it to me was the inclusion of a cabinet all for about $450. I'm hoping my options open after I build this one and I can start DIYing like I do with pedals. I'm love to get all over the Ceriatone site, champ heads, jtm45/100 and superleads..
Nice, hard to beat that for the money.

Quote from: nzCdog on January 23, 2012, 02:11:09 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a trinity 18W...  uggghhhh GAS!
http://trinityamps.com/Product_Parts.htm

Do it! :) My favorite amp is a 18 watt (lite IIb) that I built. Everyone that plays it comments on how good it sounds :)

Pcbs no longer available

TNblueshawk

John

nzCdog

Thanks TN...that's the very same kit I want to build :)
Gonna prolly put one of these VVRs in to tame the Volume instead of a MV... just about enough cash, gotta sell a couple more things first :)

TNblueshawk

What is that thing doing nz? Is it acting like an attenuator of sorts?
John

nzCdog

'Variable Voltage Regulator' starves the volts going to the power tubes, decreasing the power output of the amp, down to 10W 5W or Wattever ;D... whereas a Master Volume attenuates the preamp signal going into the power tubes. 
From what I've heard 18 watters tend to sound better using VVR instead of MV

slimtriggers

Quote from: nzCdog on January 23, 2012, 11:14:41 PM
Thanks TN...that's the very same kit I want to build :)
Gonna prolly put one of these VVRs in to tame the Volume instead of a MV... just about enough cash, gotta sell a couple more things first :)

There are several VVR layouts around if you want to save some $$ and DIY ;)

http://www.sewatt.com/files/sewatt/vvr_tagboard.jpg

http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/11226d1286636081-vvr-layout.jpg

nzCdog

Thanks slimtriggers... I hadn't found any good layouts, definitely better to do DIY 8)