News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mallory caps on Pepper spray

Started by buckle, January 11, 2012, 07:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckle

Any one have pic they can post of the mallory caps on the pepper spray board. It's pretty tight. I just want to see how others have done it. Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie.
"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." - Kurt Cobain

Bret608

Hi there,

Let me see if I can dig up my build report and link it here. Long story short, for the 100n at C7, I used a plain-jane .1 mF polyfilm cap instead of the Mallory because I was worried about fitting it. I did use a .047 Mallory for C2, and that was pretty doable--I just had to bend the leads under the cap a little to get them to line up with the holes. Just keep in mind that using that size for C2 will make it hard to use board-mounted pots, or even to wire them in and solder on top of the board. I had to run my wires through the top of the board and solder on the bottom so as not to damage the cap with my iron.

Cheers,

Bret

Bret608

Hey, here goes:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3164.0

Also, if you go into build reports and search on Pepper Spray, you'll find some besides mine to look at. I think mine might be the only one in there with the current fabbed board though.

Let us know how it turns out! I'd love it if someone would post an audio or video sample as well so as to compare...hint, hint!

buckle

Thanks for the advice. Will probably do the same and put film cap at the C7. The Mallory is huge!. I wasn't planning on mounting the pots to the board anyway. Do you think the mallory will sound better than a polyfilm.

buckle

Decided to mount the mallory, will let you know how it turns out when I get it wired. Waiting on some parts.

Bret608

Well, I have not been building long enough to know how big of an impact the Mallory would have on the sound. But in the build doc, Brian seemed to recommend it pretty highly. For me personally, I chose to work within the limits of my pretty low skill level on dealing with large components. I am glad I used a Mallory for C2 though...makes it look like there are amp parts!

I'll be excited to hear how yours sounds with that Mallory...I almost feel like building another one and trying to find more "mojo" parts.

Are you doing stock or Albini specs? I went with the Albini and like it quite a bit. To my ears it's not as crazy as a lot of people mention, but that may be because my ears are too desensitized to strident guitar sounds! To me it sounds like a fuzzy, off-kilter overdrive...

buckle

Just finished it.

Did the Albini spec's. I would agree... like a fuzzy overdrive. I am letting the guitarist in my band use it and he is quickly becoming obsessed. He is using an old ampeg V2 that is pushed pretty hard and the pepper spray just really adds something amazing for heavy parts.