News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Troglodyte — Self Oscilating Reverb

Started by Aleph Null, September 18, 2024, 04:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

Troglodyte is a versatile reverb capable of everything from short, bright, roomy reverbs, to dark, cavernous, infinite sustain, to full-on self oscillation. I was inspired by Grind Customs Tenebrion—my copy would just barely reach infinite sustain. Something about that particular unit full up was magical. I've also built Mad Bean's Moodring with a short brick and loved how that could go from short and bright to full-on runaway oscilation. I set out to make my own design with all the features from other reverbs that I loved, plus something that could do precise, controllable self oscilation and reverb swells.

The enclosure is a limited run from Love My Switches.

The Belton Brick is a big boy! It's soldered in place on top of the board so that it hangs over the bypass LED and leaves just enough room for the footswitches. I made sure to leave plenty of room for top mount jacks and to get a soldering iron in to the potentiometer lugs once the rest of the board was populated.

An input buffer feeds a PT2399 delay chip. This provides pre-delay of up to 300ms or so by way of the "Onset" control. I used pretty standard filtering on the delay input. The output stage of the delay does double duty as additional filtering as well as a gain stage to feed clipping diodes for the "Saturation" control. The saturated signal then hits the Belton Brick. One of the Belton 3's outputs feeds a tilt EQ centered around 1kHz and goes to the output mixer. There's enough gain on tap that you can get the wet signal well above unity with higher "Saturation" settings.

I wanted a "kill dry" option, but I didn't want to stop there, so I went for a "Dry" mix instead. This goes all the way from "kill dry" to "solo boost" with 14dB of gain available. This means I could set the unit for a boost to take a reverb drenched solo, or I could set it to cut volume for an ambient verse. I like having options!

The "Sway" control is the same envelope-controlled vibrato I used in my "Special Sauce" circuit, but tuned for longer delay times.

The crowning feature of this reverb, in my opinion, is the "Feedback" and "Swell|Delay" controls. The "Feedback" sends the second reverb ouptut back to the delay input allowing for momentary gushes of reverb, infinite sustain, or self oscilation. The feedback loop interacts with the other controls to create some surprising results. The "Swell|Delay" switch controls how the momentary foot switch interacts with the "Feedback" control. In "Damp" mode, the "Feedback" control is connected by default and is disconnected when the foot switch is pressed. In "Swell" mode, the "Feedback" control is disconnected by default and only engaged if the foot switch is pressed.

Here's a demo:

I have a few extra boards. If you're interested in building one, just DM me.

jessenator

Dude. This is seriously great sounding. I might definitely need a board ;D

It's making all the right sounds. I'm definitely digging the Swell/Dampen control. and the sway control... Seriously, I'm going back and re-listening. Total Planet Telex at 3'30" and I stinkin love it.

Good work, man.

[NOBODY CARED ABOUT THAT]

NorthCoast

That sounds fantastic. It's nice to see someone put this much thought into a reverb.
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand..." - Claude Monet

neiloler

Dude, this awesome. I'd love to buy a board from you.
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

jessenator

Quote from: neiloler on September 20, 2024, 01:16:35 AMDude, this awesome. I'd love to buy a board from you.
wah hey! The legend returns ;)
[NOBODY CARED ABOUT THAT]

neiloler

Quote from: jessenator on September 20, 2024, 02:42:40 AM
Quote from: neiloler on September 20, 2024, 01:16:35 AMDude, this awesome. I'd love to buy a board from you.
wah hey! The legend returns ;)

When there's a reverb this dope, it brings me back from the dead.

Or at least I'm getting more into pedals again. I credit Jessenator.
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

Aleph Null

Quote from: NorthCoast on September 19, 2024, 02:32:42 AMThat sounds fantastic. It's nice to see someone put this much thought into a reverb.

Reverb is one of my favorite effects! Glad you all like it!

gordo

Damn this is cool.  I'm pretty much a self-professed Belton brick hater but this sounds amazing!  Nicely done!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

Now that is a fine design! I love some of the innovative features you used in this.

Aleph Null

Quote from: madbean on September 21, 2024, 12:45:41 AMNow that is a fine design! I love some of the innovative features you used in this.

Senpai noticed me! But, seriously, that means a lot coming from you.

Quote from: gordo on September 20, 2024, 11:02:18 PMDamn this is cool.  I'm pretty much a self-professed Belton brick hater but this sounds amazing!  Nicely done!

The Bricks definitely do have their limitations. Most of the things I didn't like about the Belton 2—the built-in modulation, the low density, and poor diffusion—were improved in the Belton 3. The density is still low, but I think that actually lends itself to the "infinite sustain" kinds of sounds.

Aleph Null

I have sold the last of the boards, but there's enough interest that I'm going to do a second run. Any one that wants a board, DM me by Thursday, September 26th, 2024. I'll place an order on Friday.

Boards are $10 shipped to the continental US. I'll include a printed build doc. If you live outside the US, I can still ship you a board, but shipping costs might be different.

waldo_jeffers

This sounds incredible. It covers how I wished the DBA Reverberation Machine sounded plus so much more. I'd love to buy a board, will DM!